How to spot a writer

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/11/how-to-spot-a-writer.html

7 Likes

18 Likes

• A key sign of writing is letters happening in a specific order. If you can read the letters, that’s prose. If the letters are a little jumbled, that’s poetry. If the letters are grouped in threes with other symbols, that’s actually a pay phone which, if you think about it, is kind of spoken-word writing.

Oh god, this cuts so deep.

15 Likes

15 Likes

How to spot a writer

Just what I’ve always wanted—a spotted writer!

17 Likes

Do robots write screenplays in electric Starbucks?

13 Likes

Everybody has to get by in this world. Aspirations should be encouraged.

9 Likes

There’s the classic paint brush and can, but I prefer Krylon green spray marker paint.

3 Likes

I have this shirt in my closet. Does that count?

14 Likes

I have only one laptop sticker

Me too. It does, however, cover the entire top of my laptop…

5 Likes

Not leather elbow patches then?

13 Likes

That’s only for writers who are also professors…

17 Likes

Oh, that’s why I failed to get tenure? Or is it just correlation, not causation?

17 Likes

Writing is when you have an idea for a book and then spend three decades telling people about that idea.

Hey, I finished it! I just couldn’t find an agent or publisher and I’m being lazy about self publishing…

6 Likes

My automatic habit of storing writing utensils in my bun was driving us both crazy out in the shop yesterday. Took me 15 minutes to find the damn pencils…twice. I had them all in there!

14 Likes

You also need tweed. I hear that’s critical.

6 Likes

Clearly I need more stickers for my laptop. No wonder I haven’t sold those novels yet.

tenor

5 Likes

I have only one laptop sticker

me, too, and it’s perfect for a writer (or at least for me)

edited to add: artwork by Franklin Habit. credit where it’s due. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

I have never understood tweed. Does it simply grow on you if you are in a damp, desolate place with bad bread, worse other food and high spirits? What is it? Where does it live originally? How does it breed?

12 Likes

You need to watch Downton Abbey, particularly the episode where they go hunting in Scotland. You don’t get to see their underwear, but if you could I’m pretty sure it’d be tweed as well.

8 Likes