How to survive "The Big One"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/05/how-to-survive-the-big-one.html

6 Likes

I thought the best way to survive the big one was to get stents?

12 Likes

Other than Redd Foxx they got a bunch of great comedians for his supporting cast of friends and family.
NSFW
Have you ever heard any Lawanda Page (Aunt Esther)

Or Skillet and Leroy

5 Likes

Foxx faked heart attacks so often that people thought he was joking when he actually did have a heart attack.

13 Likes

It didn’t get better than when Fred and Aunt Esther started laying into each-other.

They both came out of the “party records” comedy scene. Foxx’s were also delightfully filthy.

9 Likes

The pedantic reply:

What to do if you think you are having a heart attack

AHA Recommendation

The best strategy is to be aware of the warning signs for cardiac arrest - sudden loss of responsiveness and no normal breathing - and respond to them by calling 9-1-1.
Source: American Heart Association 2019, 10/05

Bullet points from: If these signs are present CALL 9-1-1
[or 999 or what ever your emergency services number is*]

Heart Attack Symptoms

• CHEST DISCOMFORT
  • DISCOMFORT IN OTHER AREAS OF THE UPPER BODY
  • SHORTNESS OF BREATH
  • OTHER SIGNS may include breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.

Stroke Symptoms

• FACE DROOPING
  • ARM WEAKNESS
  • SPEECH DIFFICULTY

Cardiac Arrest Symptoms

The symptoms for heart attacks in women may be different.

1. As with men, women’s most common heart attack symptom is chest pain or discomfort. But women are somewhat more likely than men to experience some of the other common symptoms, particularly shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting and back or jaw pain.

Source: Heart attack symptoms in women, AHA, 2019, 10/05

From what I understand, one can call 911 or 999 or whatever your emergency services phone number is and ask for help while you figure out if you are having issues. Let the nearest person, if there is one near you, know what is going on and then call or have them call. Give your address first then the issue if you can.
Note‡ : I am not a medical professional, just a person that at least put links to the sources I am citing and information I post. I also cherry picked information. Take my advice with a grain of salt substitute after consulting your doctor about salt substitutes and after consulting with a digital humanist to see how one should best use and evaluate information found on the Internet.

Pedantry over. I loved that recurring joke in Sanford and Son.

Edited for more pedantry.

8 Likes

Wait, they remade Steptoe & Son?

10 Likes

Yup, that’s exactly what it was. And wasn’t “All In The Family” also a remake? Or am I confusing things?

5 Likes

funny, I just ran across this yesterday.

1 Like
5 Likes

I thought the trick to surviving the Big One was to work up to it with a graduated series of butt plugs

6 Likes

Or to move out of California.

2 Likes

To Yosemite?

1 Like

Three’s Company was also a remake of Man About the House.

4 Likes

He’s grabbing the wrong part of his body, for sure. More likely the left arm. They say that you should cough and cough continuously as you go for help or wait for and ambulance, as this stimulates the vagus nerve.

Was Sanford and Son as fucking dark as Steptoe & Son? I seem to remember that the Swedish version ended with the son killing his father or something.

2 Likes

Grady! YOU BIG DUMMY!

1 Like

In my neck of the woods, surviving ‘the big one’ means getting through a probable massive earthquake.

1 Like

Redd Foxx lived in LA, so that was probably true for him too. But I’m pretty sure he was talking about a heart attack in the clip.

That would make the most sense, what with his grabbing the front of his chest, and looking like he was in physical distress.

1 Like

Okay. Here comes my attempt at a semi-humorous post… comin’ at ya fast… get ready!.. here it comes… aaannnnnd……

it’s a swing and a miss! :smiling_imp: