How to take macro photos on your phone of bugs and other tiny things in your back garden

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/28/how-to-take-macro-photos-on-yo.html

4 Likes

I’m personally waiting until they put a smart phone in a DSLR. Do you hear me, Canon?

I did a lot of macro shooting last summer when I was exiled to a not-very-pedestrian-friendly section of suburbia. Lots of bees and other insects as I found them.

The only time I got stung was when I was literally walking between sites. A wasp flew into my leg, stung me, and flew off. I thought I might have been near a nest, but no. Wasps are just evil.

3 Likes

If you’re a slacker, then I must be brain dead. Pull the plug.

1 Like

Every couple of years, a company gets the bright idea to have their camera run android.

1 Like

As long as you are out there with your smart phone taking pictures of small wildlife…

This site is very rewarding to share your Observations on and find out what some of these wonderful creatures really are:

h/t KK’s Cool Tools

Samsung did it years ago with their NX series of cameras. They were actually quite good.

1 Like

I have three cameras that run Android.

One is a Lytro Illum. It is a lightfield camera that does 3D, refocus, and virtual computational camera tricks. It has a phone sized display on the back of the camera. But it doesn’t do anything cool with the connectivity.

Both of my other Android cameras are 360 cameras without displays. Neither have really good streaming or communication options. (Although the one finally can function as a USB streaming camera.)

To me, it’s more about having the ability to use a cell phone with the camera in an effective and useful way to snap a photo and get that photo into the image editing software on the phone then upload to a ftp site or social media without pulling a card or taking very long, and I have not heard of any camera makers who have done that yet.

I don’t care if the camera is mirrorless or not, that’s a camera manufacturer cost savings thing. (There are advantages either way). Camera makers really need to bring their cameras into the 21st century and make it as easy to share a photo from my DSLR as from my cell phone.

Snapbridge/Canon Connect aren’t working out for you?

I think the biggest problem is that adding computational capabilities to the camera on par with iphone pro would add $500 to the camera-- and would become obsolete before the rest of the body does

1 Like

Nope, I have a Nikon D7100. :frowning:

There’s your problem.
https://nikonimglib.com/snbr/onlinehelp/en/09_information_01.html

I have a D7000, which is even less compatible. All the reviews I have read imply that Snapbridge is a confusing mess.

If you’re a cheapskate with a phone you can usually get decent macro performance out of it without any additional lenses.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.