How to talk to your kids about animal sex

You offend me, and my bacterial brethren(among numerous others, many cruelly underrepresented and marginalized by science’s anthropocentric perspective)!

4 Likes

Kids, you think that’s weird you should see what mom and I get up to. Ooops, maybe not. Some things are hard to unsee. Haha.

From the comments:

i was in the zoo with my kids when one monkey mounted the other…what are they doing asked my 5 year old…oh they’re just giving each other a piggy back i said…it’s funny she said they look like you and mummy when your having sex

And a 17 year old’s reaction:

I took my son to Cotswold wild life park where they have a lot of squirrel monkeys, we peered into the cage and after about a minute my son said “this is just one big fuck fest”

My apologies. How about, there is no life without (horizontal|vertical) gene transfer?

I’m not really up on my biology (I know more about genetic algorithms than actual genetics), so any other methods of reproduction/gene transfer are not intended as a slight to whatever odd reproduction method an organism may use. :smile:

I went to the D.C. National Zoo when I was around 9 yo. I was watching the spider monkeys swing around the habitat, the male organs flailing around quite obviously. A couple of moms with pre-school aged daughters filtered in next to me. they were all very properly dressed and obviously very wealthy. the moms were conversing, ignoring the kiddie babble. it turns out, neither of the girls had ever seen a penis before and quickly pointed them out. the moms’ conversation got more and more strained, the girls doing what children being ignored always do by chanting their question increasingly loudly: “Mommy, what are those things?!” even for a nine-year-old, it was a joy to watch the mothers’ torture and their facades eventually crack.

Yeah, we have both genders of kids in our household, and although the girls aren’t quite verbal yet (they’re working on it), I try to be very matter of fact about pointing out what stuff is… that’s a penis… that’s a vagina… I think trying to be coy about certain body parts only makes kids more curious. Better to treat it like your hand or your nose or your elbow, just a part of the body that has a name, no more, no less.

I mean, as much piss, vomit, blood, shit, and mucus as you wade through as a parent, being shy about penises is quite low on the old priority list.

2 Likes

Jesus Tap-dancing Christ what an asshole Neal Horsley is! What a stunning hypocrite. The cognitive dissonance in his head should have killed him.

Useless quibble: Technically, you should usually be pointing out “that’s a penis, that’s a vulva”, since in most cases the vagina isn’t visible. Though the simplification does seem to be standard usage for kid-level English.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.