How to talk to your kids about animal sex

[Permalink]

Ha ha - went to Alligator Adventure with my daughter, then about 7 or 8, and the Gavrils were having a go. Oh look! The boy alligatorā€™s lying on top of the girl alligator! Uh, oh, ahā€¦looks like the gavrils are making a baby gavril! Yeah, awkward.

6 year old vonbobo: ā€œWhy is that one sheep riding on the back of the other sheep?ā€
everyone else: (laugh at 6 year old vonbobo, then say nothing)

ā€¦and when the guy asks what heā€™s being arrested for the policeman says, ā€œTransporting young gulls across a sedate lion for immoral porpoises.ā€ Thank you! Iā€™ll be here all week! Please tip your waiter!

Seriously, though, for me it wasnā€™t an uncomfortable moment at the zoo. It was one of those shabby traveling circuses. There was an elephant ride, but the poor elephant was unrideable. He was off in a corner of his ā€œpenā€ (a fenced in part of a mall parking lot) with an engorged member. He was rocking his hips to and fro. I know Iā€™m anthropomorphizing, but he looked both unhappy and uncomfortable. And what I needed was someone to explain how humans can be so cruel.

1 Like

Bart Simpson: ā€œLook, Santaā€™s Little Helper is trying to play leapfrog with (girlfriend dog) and canā€™t make it! Come on boy, you can do it!ā€

A few years back I visited an aquarium. Might have been the wonderful Monterey Bay aquarium. In any case, a docent explained that the three sea otters normally on display had to be separated because one of the ladies was in season.

ā€œYou might observe behaviors associated with this timeā€ she added cryptically.

One lady otter was floating on her back high above the audiencesā€™ heads, vigorously, um, whacking away.

Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t have a kid I had to explain that to.

2 Likes

All introductions for children to animal sexuality (secks-you-ality) should begin with this David Attenborough clip.

the lions ā€œbecause itā€™s a noisy affairā€

Friends of mine brought their daughter to the Oakland Zoo for the first time when the camels were going at it. Apparently they were going at it for the entire duration of their visit, because you could hear it from any point in the zoo.

and, counterintuitively, tortoises. ā€œItā€™s a very slow process and they
are not discreet at all.ā€

I remember a lot of hoarse grunting, but mostly the grinding noise of shell-on-shell.

I wish the title had been:

How to talk to your kids about gigantic walrus penis.

2 Likes

Yup. Baltimore Aquarium, standing between my college boyfriend and my grandma, as the harbor seals had enthusiastic sex in front of us. Could not decide which way to look.

Better: National Zoo, on a fourth date with my now-husband. Giant tortoises having extended, LOUD, awkward sex on a sunny Saturday in front of approximately 20% of all 3-6 year olds in the greater DC area. Heard a lot of extemporizing from parents. Laughed ourselves silly, especially as the female just kept eating lettuce through the whole thing.

After my fatherā€™s funeral, all the adults ere standing around being distraught, and the dog flipped out and started humping my 4yo nephew, who shouted, ā€œheā€™s hugging me!ā€

I think we saved the walrus dick for his teen years.

We did a trip to the zoo in elementary school and great mirth ensued when a donkey pulled out after intercourse. Goddamn, what a huge, veiny triumphant bastard.

1 Like

City people are weird.

If Iā€™m ever in that situation with my now 2.5 year old daughter, Iā€™ll tell her exactly whatā€™s going on. Seriously, our society is completely fucked up when it comes to sex, itā€™s incredible. There is no life without sex!

3 Likes

Probably best to start with the animals that donā€™t engage in too many depraved practices, like savage duckrape, traumatic insemination, or using their detachable penises as plugs into prevent copulation with competing malesā€¦

Have them read ā€œThe Spiderā€ by John Crompton. After that theyā€™ll be favorably impressed by almost any sort of human sex.

Daddy: ā€œWell, Susie, that sheep has hurt its front leg, and the other one is giving it a ride back to the barn.ā€

Susie: ā€œIsnā€™t that typical. You try to help someone and they end up screwing you.ā€

4 Likes

Someone, I forget who, described them as ā€˜Slow, but diligent sex-maniacsā€™.

1 Like

So many Grindcore bandsā€¦

Having grown up in the country, I aver that there is such a thing as being too comfortable with animal sexā€¦

1 Like

Somebody probably should have told all-around-awful-person Neal Horsley about that.

3 Likes

Re-citing: But what do they do with their legs? | Parents and parenting | The Guardian

Not having kids, and with most of my friendsā€™ kids now teens to adults, Iā€™m unlikely to ever be asked. I hope Iā€™d be more amused than flustered.