How to tell good meat from the mediocre

I wonder if his pick of the salami would last 3 or 5 days backpacking, without refrigeration. Probably not.

I want to see a similar video about different kinds of cannabis, sort of a guide on how to appreciate your bud, for the discriminating toker. I’m sure it’s out there already, just haven’t looked on my own. My preference is to have the fine curators at BB bring such novelty to my attention.

2 Likes

Yeah, I live in part of The Land of Fine Foods Readily Available… so that does make it easy.

1 Like

Actually his pick most certainly would, salami was invented as a way to preserve meat for long periods before refrigeration was a thing.

8 Likes

I like the fact that he didn’t outright shit on any of the selections, he talked about how to appreciate even the cheaper meats. Most meals for most people are going to be the cheaper meats.

5 Likes

Yes, obvious choices, but that is actually pretty meaningless in light of the other information, which is the lesson’s actual purpose. That said, not even considering the prosciutto, HOLY HECK meat is expensive where he lives! Perils of quality meat in a big city, I guess.

1 Like

That’s Spanish Ibérico. It is very expensive in the States because there is a very small number of Spanish producers certified and inspected by the FDA, and only those are allowed to ship their product over here. In Spain is still expensive, but not as expensive as here. A veritable work of art.

5 Likes

So much of an expert but on 7:10, when comparing bologna, he says the colour comes from nitric oxide which protects the colour (right) and attacks botulism (wrong). Here’s a long read on the Guardian about the use of nitric oxide in the production of processed meats and its link to cancer. The botulism story is a sort of big tobacco attempt of the meat industry to stop governments from prohibiting the use of nitric oxide.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/01/bacon-cancer-processed-meats-nitrates-nitrites-sausages

3 Likes

As far as I can tell it is absolutely correct that nitrites inhibit botulism. What would be misleading would implying that nitrites are the only way of preventing botulism in cured meats.

4 Likes

You know what?
Even happens to me.
And I’ve been quite* vegetarian since more than what, 15 years?

Let’s not argue about the occasional “you are invited” situation. You don’t turn down the best parts of a chicken if you are invited by someone in the middle of a rainforest you just encountered poaching. Which, obviously, are the crunchy legs.

Fun fact I learned in statistics class: people changing their diet to vegan sometimes poison themselves with Brazil nuts. To paraphrase Philippus Aureolus Theophrastus Bombastus von Hohenheim: bei careful with the dose of nuts.

2 Likes

If you can afford $20-150/lb. for your meats, you very likely have little idea what “mediocre” actually is.

Yeah, i try and avoid cheap chicken. Good video, but eating meat is probably best left for special occasions only.

He IS in the meat industry.

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/19/what-makes-good-deli-meat.html

2 Likes

A lack of salmonella?

Oh, come on! That most people could probably tell the higher quality meat from the lower in a store, I will give you that, but, he had so much more to say about production and taste. I learned a lot.

. . .seitan?

I’ll just let myself out. :stuck_out_tongue:

While touting all the benefits of sodium nitrates he neglected to mention that nitrosamines are a carcinogen. Cured meat does not need to have this, but it is cheaper.

Actually, it was a Seranno ham from Spain, from pigs that only eat acorns. Prosciutto is from Italy and it’s also a term used generically here in the USA. The other “prosciutto” looked like a low-end domestic product. A real comparison would be Parma Prosciutto against Iberico Seranno.

:smiling_imp:

And I thought the Leoncini prosciutto at our local market was high priced, now looks moderately cheap.