How to tell the difference between bees, flies, wasps, and moths

reddit claims it’s the Moscow subway,

Got a link or some reference for that? It’s not very likely. Very different habitats, usually. Here, crows are very cross with ravens and usually try to scare them away.

BTW, tell-tale is the form of the tail. Plus crows are quite talkative during flight, while ravens are not.

1 Like

The costume for beefeater interns is not what I expected.

2 Likes

Ermmm.

As @orenwolf wrote in a very different context: taxonomy matters.

As a biologist, I am inclined to link a video here called “Show me your genitals”. On the other hand, I am not going to actively ruin your day. You may look for it at the tubes yourself, if you are feeling stable enough.

On a more serious note: taxonomy does matter I deal with people who want information (mostly in plants) from me based on descriptions like “it has very nice white flowers”. Today, I even got sent three pictures - and the question if the stuff was poisonous, since child 3 had eaten some fruits. (Easy one, wasn’t poisonous.) People who can distinguish Coleoptera from Hymenoptera and Diptera are increasingly rare, and I actually know someone who distinguishes just two types of plants: birches and non-birches.

Hell, I had a chat with a person who studied math and became a teacher who was surprised that yes, trees are actually also plants.

4 Likes

Oh, I’m also a biologist (by training, at least) and have had my share of navigating the frustrating depths of some dichotomous keys. And, come to think of it, some experience of dealing with fellow biology students who had trouble distinguishing between bees and mimic flies - mounted in a display case and inspected with a magnifying glass, no less - so perhaps my estimate of a few dozen intuitively distinguishable insect kinds is too generous.

1 Like

“JON LAJOIE”, or some immensely cooler thing about reproduction?

1 Like

Well, I hope that the skin condition turned out all right for you (or whomever you were observing), but:

Sheesh, don’t we have anything better to do, anymore!?

Jackson Pollock had a pet raven corvid although I’m unaware of him taking it on public transport.
https://www.aaa.si.edu/collections/items/detail/jackson-pollock-his-pet-crow-cawcaw-3890

1 Like

so the caption is misleading?

1 Like

It was the public transport bit I was surprised by.

1 Like

I’d say that it was a crow based on it’s size.

A raven would be bigger than Jackson Pollock’s head

1 Like

No it means I’m probably mistaken, and merely remembered “raven”

3 Likes

SCANDALOUS

http://imgur.com/tTc9cKQ

3 Likes

[quote=“LutherBlisset, post:44, topic:102063”]
Hell, I had a chat with a person who studied math and became a teacher who was surprised that yes, trees are actually also plants.[/quote]
I can’t imagine how that person would react to learning that technically, bananas don’t grow on trees.

3 Likes

All hornets are wasps, but not all wasps are hornets. That’s the takeaway.

Hornets are pretty gentle, much like bees, in my experience. But they are generally big and scary looking, and if they do sting you, it’s a big world of hurt!

2 Likes

Well, I’m replying to myself because I figured it out.

I find the buzzing very soothing. Turn up the sound! They are very gentle and accommodating creatures, I had them all over me when shooting this.

1 Like

I wish it would have been cooler than the music video. But I see your duck and raise you a dragonfly.

1 Like

Yes, passed away not from skin cancer. Thanks.

Sheesh, don’t we have anything better to do, anymore!?

I’m quite unclear what you mean.
Something better to do than sitting in the sun with loved ones, observing nature?

I guess I could have been having conversations with my ‘imaginary friends’ from the whirled wild webs, clicking little heart symbols to show my approval.
But that I can still do now.

2 Likes

I’m sure you kids are having fun with all this “exploding duck penis” malarkey, but now I’m stopped for questioning any time I try to take my duck onto public transport.

3 Likes

I’m gunna pass. The bug spray. So someone can kill that thing.