How to turn your mobile display orange for better sleep

@ankh, thanks, I have done some research before but that thread was exactly what I was looking for.
To summarize it and the linked FAA report below:
1-Red frequecy light fires red cones but not rods preserving nearly 100% night vision
2-night vision goggles are green as the eye is most sensitive in green frequency increasing the sensitivity of the equipment when used with the human eye
3-Mil spec NVG soft green is used with NVGs and if proper intensity does not significantly degrade natural night vision(specificaly not impairing use of NVG for outside viewing vs having to use natural vision to see outside) when viewing the cockpit from under the night goggles or cause ‘lens flare’ from lit instruments or their reflections in the cockpit when looking through the NVGs to look outside the aircraft as it is a frequency less detected by NVGs while red is well within that band.
4-the FAA is now certifying NVG compatible civillian soft white cockpit installs which give better color perception especially on color instruments in non-glass cockpits(glass cockpit=CRT or LCD displays)

http://www.hf.faa.gov/docs/508/docs/vfNVG_civilian_SPIE.pdf
and
http://www.hf.faa.gov/docs/508/docs/vfFY04NVGrpt.pdf
(edits for green vs red NVG frequency response)

1 Like

I was just explaining to some students last week how gaff tape has four distinct phases as it ages. 1) Brand new - great adhesion for the size, pulls off with no residue. 2) Six months to one year - the adhesive is now even stickier which sounds great in theory but usually just manifests in either tape that’s hard to pull off the roll or tape that removes paint from the floor. Still no residue when removed. 3) One year plus - the adhesion returns to brand new levels, but when removed it leaves a sticky, slimy residue. 4) Several years - the tape has now totally dried out and when removed will leave a powdery residue of the former adhesive. Of course, drier environments will affect how well and how quickly it ages.

3 Likes

I have an even cheaper cure- switch the thing off and don’t use it in bed at all.

Cheaper but not feasible for many.

Oh yeah just have that bedside lamp on with the white pages reflecting just as much light into your eyes. I just don’t see the difference between that and a tablet at a reasonable (not cranked up to maximum brightness) brightness. Or do you mean just not look at anything in bed?

You know, I miss the times when he was sticking life hints sharpied on to discarded, gps-tagged bottles under my bike’s wiper blades, but I can also understand wanting there to be low-temp wide-spectrum red fluorescent gels handy everywhere, all without recapitulating Peace Pilgrim to people who aren’t sure what LEDs are. The number of woman-hours saved to the nation makes up for the shift.

f.lux and color aren’t friends, and the brightness slider isn’t helping get color intents across (much less CIE goodness.)
UV haters gonna hate: http://www.sciplus.com/p/SILVER-POLYESTER-WINDOW-FILM_54697
though the Amazon link is helpful because ‘film’ is a very distracting search term!
Gotta get white tape for the middle of those orange Wayfarer glasses. Then I can go be worried about being in full sun when I have to mockup a mural in Sketchbook.

1 Like

I never use the normal setting anymore, i end up surprised when someone else glances at my phone when i’m reading and remarks at the black background :slight_smile:

The only exception being when you get the annoying (thankfully rare) kindle book where the author has hard-coded the text colour. Black text on a black background is not very readable :wink: Thats when i use sepia.

That’s what I do with my Kindle Fire. I do a lot of reading at night and sleep much better since I’ve been doing this. My android phone gets turned off when I walk in the door.

I know what you mean. I started a really good book on my Kindle, Jeffrey Thomas’s Punktown, but it won’t work on the reversed setting so I haven’t been able to finish it.

1 Like

Yeah the best one I’ve used is Twilight. I didn’t like permissions they ask for, but they are for the purposes of knowing you location to turn the thing on and off when it’s night time / morning. I tried all of them, and Twilight has the best options in terms of being able to tune the shade of orange used (from very yellow to very red) and also a brightness slider that is independent to the OS one.

I too was skeptical about this ‘no blue around bedtime’ thing, but there is some research that backs it up. I decided to install Twilight one night and within 15 minutes of use I was noticeably sleepier than I expected.

2 things about these apps though:
*Screenshots will be affected with the colour shade
*A weird bug with all of these apps is that you seemingly cannot sideload an apk while it’s running. The install button is clickable on the install screen, but it does nothing until you disable Twilight.

1 Like

Major points for weird bug, which is not being able to install anything with Twilight…you mean just whacking pause in Twilight, right? Not KitKat/Lollipop task control?

Yes, just hitting pause will solve it IIRC. They put a little pause button in the notifications tray.

Thought. A homemade lamp with an amber LED? (I used to have such as my keyboard light, before the age of white LEDs.) Or maybe a colored-foil filter.

Another idea, for a backlight hack. Replace the white LEDs with RGB, and make the blue channel switchable. Or put red and/or amber ones in parallel, and switch between the white and the alternative.

Export to epub, unzip, edit the CSS, convert back to mobi?

Maybe use something like one of these in a regular lamp?

I’ve got the directional version aimed up at the ceiling for a nice ambient light in my living room. Ten steps of brightness from dark to full, and fifteen color choices (not really an even distribution of colors, but sufficient) plus “white.”

1 Like

Yes, that will do a good job.

I’ll reserve judgement on screen colours affecting my sleep (my sleep patterns are usually most strongly governed by how much sleep I got last night, and how active I’ve been), but I’m not sure what the point is of covering your ereader in a gel is?
The whole point of an e-ink screen is that it doesn’t need a backlight, it can just reflect light in exactly the same way a book does. Just change the light in the room to be whatever colour you want, and the light coming off the Kindle will reflect the same (modulo it’s colour). If you have one of the expensive ones with a built in backlight, you can just turn it off and use an external source of light, a candle won’t have much blue light.

Thanks. I do get the blues when I read late at night. Like right now.

Since I use a sleep tracker, I have some small data to support the idea that using f.lux helps me sleep better. I had been using f.lux on my jailbroken iPad, on which I read each night. I lost my jailbreak to update to iOS 8 (long story).

Looking at fitbit stats before/after I stopped using f.lux, I consistently take longer to fall asleep when I’m not using f.lux.

N=1 sucks, of course, but even if my experience is typical, that doesn’t mean that the theory behind f.lux’s operation is correct. I’ve noticed that the night-time mode of f.lux has a lower apparent brightness (that is, it “seems” dimmer, even if it puts out the same lumens) and less contrast. It could simply be slightly reducing eye strain by decreasing contrast, and that makes it easier to sleep. Who knows.

tl;dr using f.lux does appear to help with sleep, but not necessarily because of “blue light”

I jailbroken my iphone so I could install F.Lux

Me too, its the singe biggest reason I still jailbreak my iPhone. Well, that and adding the ability to hold my home button long turn on the flashlight.

And the Flux website has the best and most updated jailbreaking instructions out there.

Propose a new feature for the bbs. A like dump. Whereby I transfer my remaining likes for the day into a single post.

1 Like