How to win at Monopoly and make you friends hate you

8 Likes

Exactly.

2 Likes

Get a copy of Dungeon (from TSR). Use the cards and treasures. Use the Monopoly board.

In order to buy any property, you must draw a Dungeon card. If it’s a monster, you must fight it. If you lose, instead of dying, you leave half your wealth under the square and move back. If there’s an undefeated monster on that space, you must fight that monster. And if you lose, leave half of everything you have and so on.

If you win, you can buy the property and proceed from there. Oh, and monsters can retroactively inhabit any and all houses built. So, watch it.

Far more interesting. I won’t play monopoly any other way.

6 Likes

Ah, strategy!

1 Like

A friend once ended a protracted game of Risk with a comet strike.

5 Likes

It’s in the picture of alternative games at the end of the original article too.

I’ve played it a few of times with my family and liked it, plus it’s a good game to play with people of all ages.

Like Monopoly, it’s so bad because it not designed so much as a game, but as a pedagogical tool. Rather than teaching Georgist economics like Monopoly, it is supposed to teach colors…

4 Likes

Neither are really fun, but between the Candyland dynamic of
“let’s see who can get to the King Kandy first”
and the Monopoly dynamic of
“let’s all be sociopathic plutocrats collecting wealth so we can use it to try to rent each other to death - the winner gets to watch everyone else sell their houses, mortgage/sell off their properties at a loss, and eventually go bankrupt”
I’ll take Candyland.

5 Likes

Yes, and if you can get them laughing hard enough, you can steal their Get Out of Jail Free card without them noticing. Now that’s strategy!

1 Like

When I was 9, we ended up with a Risk set and a Monopoly set. It took about 2 plays of Monopoly before I figured out that making one set of properties unaffordable to land on ends the misery fairly quickly. Risk I had some praeternatural inborn knowledge of, apparently, because I won every time we played and fairly quickly. Either that, or I’m very ruthless and should never be trusted with the tiniest shred of power.

Family game night didn’t last terribly long.

9 Likes

I don’t think family board game night lasted too long at our house. My sister liked Monopoly, nobody else did. I kinda liked Cluedo and then Scotland Yard. I used to like playing Stratego at school, but I was dreadful at it.

I preferred to play Solo Whist and then Bridge but my sister didn’t so we struggled to get a fourth hand most of the time.

I have never played Risk, just makes me think of Red Dwarf and Rimmer’s Risk campaign diaries.

I keep reading about interesting sounding board games, but I need a group to play with, I guess. Settlers of Catan and Agricola just sound a bit dull. I tried the android version of Catan, didn’t like it.

I don’t actually like winning games much, although I don’t like losing either.

1 Like

Cards, people. Always have a deck (or two) of cards with you. You can match the game to the number and age of people in the room, play for funsies or keep score with any old piece of paper, and stop whenever the group agrees it’s time.

Monopoly just isn’t old-school enough. :wink:

6 Likes

I learned to count cards when I was 8 or 9. Grandma’s galpals only let me play Canasta with them twice.

9 Likes

To expand on this, and also the comment about Risk.

I read through this recently:

The whole ‘stabbing people in the back’ mechanic just sounds awful.

See also this (by the same people, I think, or related to it, at least).

1 Like

I used to like playing Risk with the fam. and did a little too well, so they collectively agreed at the start of every game that I was the immediate threat that should be collectively targeted and crippled/destroyed. Then it became less fun, though I still pulled out a win sometimes if I got enough good initial countries and I could get them to fear each other’s hegemony enough.

2 Likes

That can be fun as long as everyone involved is aware it is that kind of game.

I basically ended a session of whatever the board game version of Game of Thrones was by deciding to have fun and just start attacking anyone and everyone as there was an obvious winner at that point and it wasn’t me. The others who were struggling didn’t like that.

2 Likes

Battles of Westeros?

I don’t play board games, but I do read about them. Same way I read about PC games despite not owning a PC. I’m funny that way.

If you’ve followed any of the Badass games we’ve played here (why haven’t you ever joined in??), you’ll have noticed that I always end up playing co-op, even when I try to make my character different. I’m just too nice, I guess.

1 Like

When I was in my early 20s, a friend and I would sometimes go out to coffeehouses and play gin rummy to pass the time. More often than not, people would be interested in what the heck we were doing and end up joining in (especially if the place was crowded). Nice way to meet people, especially since we were just playing for fun, with no score-keeping.

3 Likes

Not that one, this was a more risk like game with each person playing a house.
That is a Game Of Thrones version of Battlelore which is a fantasy version of Memoir’44 which in turn is a WW2 version of Battle Cry.
Memoir '44 is supposed to be really good but I have never had the chance to play a game.
The one from Richard Borg I really want to try is his Ancients game.

1 Like

That, really, was the point of the original game. Before PB or MB or whoever stole it.

UPDATED to add references

Which is a comment by @simonize, who also obliquely referenced the origins @ above/73527/47

3 Likes