If forced to play Monopoly, use this gameplan

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/31/if-forced-to-play-monopoly-us.html

3 Likes

This is the perfect way to guarantee that
(a ) you’ll win this game;
(b ) you won’t have to play Monopoly with these people again;
(c ) you won’t have much to do with these people again at all.

45 Likes

After once learning about the nuances of monopoly house availability, I found myself wanting to see how well hoarding them works. Unfortunately that would involve playing.

16 Likes

All he did was prove that no one should ever play monopoly. Something I already knew. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Monopoly was never meant to be fun.

Monopoly was always meant to be an object lesson showing how capitalism is a fuck and should be destroyed.

38 Likes

By insisting on nothing but single-family housing, this guy has somehow out-NIMBYed the Bay Area.

11 Likes

These have always been the rules to winning Monopoly since I was like 10. I will say two things…Railroads are worth it to at least give yourself another safe space on each street, regardless of the money intake from them. Additionally, the game is designed by its nature to be adversarial and it of course brings out the worst in everyone when it is played.

6 Likes

From Zach Weinersmith’s Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal

26 Likes

It never brought out the worst of my Mom, she would help whichever one of us kids was behind. Of course, that that the effect of creating never-ending games.

9 Likes

Playing with my brothers as a did, we’d stoke free parking with $500 plus every fine/fee from Chance/Community Chest – and inevitably we’d end up with Weimar-era hyperinflation.

10 Likes

If forced to play Monopoly, use the cyanide in your fake molar.

7 Likes

The only way to play Monopoly was already demonstrated by Alan Rickman (RIP):

10 Likes

I believe that was how all of my childhood games of monopoly went. Usually it was my brother who threw the board across the room, but I will admit I did it myself on occasion.

5 Likes

Summary: be ruthless, which was the point the original designers had in mind when trying to show the evils of capitalism.

In all honesty I’ve never played the game to the end, when we were kids we got bored after about half an hour and just put it away.

5 Likes

If forced to play Monopoly, you have already lost.

21 Likes

If people force me to play Monopoly, then I won’t want to have further dealings anyways. I hate the game, and will avoid playing with all costs.

4 Likes

My son has asked to play this game. I said “fine, but it’s designed to make you hate capitalism, you good with that?”

He hasn’t responded yet. That was months ago.

8 Likes

48 Likes

Also this,

37 Likes

12 Likes