Howto: design a cocktail for a Lunar civilization

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/19/high-on-yer-supply.html

4 Likes

12 oz. glass with ice, pour Whiskey over it to the tippy top, and enjoy. It never goes out’a style, ever.

16 Likes

Roger that!

8 Likes

I knew I could count on you…

8 Likes

From the article:

Or, the recipe Hawkeye Pierce proposed in one episode of MASH

14 Likes

What about the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster? You only need one…

9 Likes

My current fave is a Woods 100-powered lime daiquiri. With sugar, not syrup, so it grinds all the oils outta the lime rinds Mmmmmm-mmmmmm.

1 Like

colossus-3

10 Likes

For the man who completely lacks imagination. Come on. You can do better than “Just gimme a shot of booze”

Sad to say, US missions are now completely alcohol-free. NASA put the rule in place after religious dimwits heard about wine being on the menu for the final Skylab mission and started screeching and clutching their pearls.

Put the ESA in charge of all future lunar missions and you will get better beverages.

Thinking more seriously, the question of cocktails on the moon leads to some interesting concerns. Microgravity, and to a lesser extent Lunar gravity, is associated with a reduced sense of taste and ability to smell, which is where most of our sensation of flavor comes from. You would have to go for stronger-flavored ingredients and completely re-balance the drinks in the new environment. On the upside vacuum distillation would be really, really easy.

10 Likes

For martinis I freeze the glass, pour in a small amount of vermouth and pour it out again.
I keep the gin in the freezer too,

1 Like

I don’t see that particular ‘mix’ on this chart. Can we call your drink… a Tie-One-On-Papasan?

Zwischenablage02

14 Likes

What if I am a thirty ton elephant with bronchial pneumonia?

8 Likes

I raise a glass of whatever to the entire Apollo 11 team.

5 Likes

Sounds like my famous cold remedy: Neutral grain spirit, add sugar and a pillow.

4 Likes

And another round with this:

2 Likes

If it will flatten Zaphod, it should do the elephant just fine (unless it’s already a lush).

1 Like

Oh! That Old Janx Spirit!

5 Likes

I didn’t love the latest Luna book… for whatever reason I found it quite hard to follow.

He had a lot of threads to pull together, mind. My problem with all these Grand Trilogies et al is I read so many books a week (I’m a Kindle Unlimited junkie while I wait for the good stuff to arrive), that I’ve forgotten what happened previously. I’ve been re-reading Iain Banks’ Culture books to tide me over recently, and fuck it’s made me miss what used to be. Fuckin’ publishers man.

3 Likes