Howto: stay civil while discussing the children in America's concentration camps

The Right is allowed to be loud, violent, abusive, dictatorial, and evil. We are supposed to be “civil”, subservient, reach out to them, and enable them forever. Forty years of “civility” is how we got into this mess. It’s years past time to fight back hard.

17 Likes

Mere parody often pales in comparison to the actual horrific reality that we’re living in these days, which is why I didn’t even bother to address the Onion piece that launched the discussion - the shit we’re actually dealing with has turned out to be worse than anything that even the most creative satirist could ever concoct.

18 Likes

No, Nixon was terrible in many ways, but he was a smart, experienced politician who seemed to genuinely respect and care about the office despite the fact that he was a hateful, racist, alcoholic, antisemitic crook. The number of positive accomplishments during his administration is kind of shocking given who he was (and what came later).

Even W was essentially an ordinary president. Reagan and Trump are the two anomalies.

7 Likes

Who thought we would have actual Nazis heading government agencies and concentration camps while there were still WWII veterans and Holocaust survivors alive? Who would have believed that the President would be openly welcoming Russian interference in our elections and call for the deaths of reporters?

20 Likes

Indeed. I’ve had to stop watching stuff like Veep and Silicon Valley because the presidency and the titular location respectively have both outstripped their satirical counterparts. “Incompetent boob becomes president” and “entitled white guys drown in money while making terrible decisions without any concept of ethics” is only funny as long as it’s not the lived experience as well.

For me, Veep ended with Selina Meyer getting dropped off in a park by Marine One after losing the election, and Silicon Valley ended with Pied Piper inflating its MAU numbers with a third-world click farm.

8 Likes

I knew there had to be a reason why I never liked either of those shows.

They don’t go nearly far enough. It would be one thing if they were wacky absurd satire that turns everything on its ear. It would be another thing if they were a scathing indictment of the life and times in which we live. I would watch the everloving poop out of both those things. Instead, I watch Silicon Valley and Veep and think, “yeah, pretty much”.

8 Likes

Especially when one of your main stars turns out to be a prime example of dudebro-homebrew of toxic masculinity and has to be canned from the show.

10 Likes

Civility…

10 Likes

That got the cartoonist fired by the billionaire who owns the paper.

4 Likes

Pft, unrealistic.

Everyone knows trump would just say “I’m playing through” and tee off the corpses.

14 Likes

Lets not. The only thing that civil discourse serves is the feelings of scummy shitbags who can pretend they are not scummy shitbags. Lets call a spade a spade and a fascist bigot a fascist bigot.

6 Likes

Civil discourse and honesty are not an either-or proposition. We shouldn’t make the mistake of assuming that only angry people are honest, because that easily leads to the worse mistake: assuming that someone is honest because they’re angry.

10 Likes

Fascist bigot, sir, then.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.