The Onion offers tips on how to politely engage with people who cage migrant children

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/27/the-onion-offers-tips-on-how-t.html

12 Likes

11th-doc-this

Good history is a good antidote to their bullshit.

37 Likes

The post satire world is scary

39 Likes

true story.

(yes this is a complete sentence)

6 Likes

The Onion is really killing it lately. They’ve managed to keep satire alive in the post-satire age.

27 Likes

Right? It can’t have been easy…

To hell with all the “Pierre’s”; I CARE.

12 Likes

Truly good satirists thrive during those times just before totalitarians assume control. After, they all lose their heads.

19 Likes

If we listen to wise words like these, we will have peace in our time!

2 Likes

Any day now the Tea Party will be marching in the streets to loudly show their disapproval of our increasingly authoritarian government, just like they did when Obama tried to reform health care. /s

21 Likes

It’s never a bad time to drag out this song…

Dedicated to the day people won’t be assholes to minorities & immigrants.

5 Likes

That really does describe the current Republican party though.

5 Likes

23 Likes

Yep.

The Nutshell Kids are still as timely as ever.

And One Was Johnny totally needs to be a band name.

6 Likes

With the small difference that Pierre came around in the end.

5 Likes

Werner Finck and some others even survived the Nazis. Brecht wrote about it. However, scathing satire wasn’t his style, and many others indeed lost their lives.

In general, you are right, of course. Satire thirves in difficult times.

However, if reality turns into a distopy at the speed I feel today, keeping up is hard. And I am not even talking about the US. China is on top of my list when I think about the impossibility of satire.
OTOH, my understanding of Chinese culture(s) is so rudimentary, I don’t even understand if satire has a political tradition of any kind there…

1 Like

“I’m sorry to have brought bad publicity on you by getting my face in the way of your shotgun blast.”

whittington_wideweb__470x353%2C0

3 Likes

Sadly we’re talking about people who still refuse to believe that the Civil War had anything to do with slavery.

16 Likes

Weird, What’s with the picture of the quail there?

3 Likes

Part of that is very much due to the lack of a decent history education, and ideologies role in pushing for a “balanced” view of history. As Howard Zinn said, you can’t be neutral on a moving train.

5 Likes

Recall that violently rejecting a tyrannical government goes against everything our forefathers believed in.

Except, you know, for the violent rejection of tyranny (not to mention the violent imposition of tyranny) on the part of those forefathers.

Oh wait… this is an Onion piece… [Roseanna Roseannadanna voice] Never mind!