Howto: stay civil while discussing the children in America's concentration camps

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/28/the-biden-method.html

2 Likes

“Civility” means nothing if civilization itself is fucking breaking down around us.

38 Likes

Yeah, peace predicated on accepting injustice is not a sustainable or acceptable peace.

I can’t trust anyone who decides that concentration camps are the line in the sand for them. If somebody is willing to accept and enable the Republican war on women, the christianist crusade against Muslims, the long lasting oppression against LGBTQ folk - if someone supports any of those oppressive injustices , they ain’t worth having as an ally.

30 Likes

It’s almost like I was using the well known comic I posted as a metaphor for what will happen if people keep ignoring the problem as it gets ever worse.

Say that again.

We’re all in this together, like it or not.

21 Likes
4 Likes

I’m almost as sick of jokes about civility as I am about civility itself

15 Likes

Aye, I’m sick of all the fake concern about ‘civility’ when inhumane, profane atrocities are being committed hand over fist.

Genuine welcome to BBS, btw.

21 Likes

Oh the Onion. I am going to be so happy when reality quits making their articles look plausible.

30 Likes

You do realize it was a satire piece, right?

1 Like

Yes, it’s satire, but it’s depressing and exasperating that we have this to satire.

And also that it’s not exactly A Modest Proposal level satire either, but something that’s really happening.

21 Likes

“Hell No”

-AOC

/notsatire

13 Likes

It’s so weird how you seem to understand the points that I’m making without being needlessly snide or condescending.

Almost like you’re actually interested in having a real conversation and you’re not just commenting to be a dick, or something.

Thanks for that; it’s greatly appreciated!

21 Likes

Thank you. I’ve been lurking for quite some time, and finally decided to get an account.

There’s enough dickishness in the world. I don’t need to add to it.

24 Likes

16 Likes

Stay civil. Because when this era passes, and it will. And the nation hangs it head in shame, and it will. And the people who “just followed orders” are indicted for kidnapping, child abuse, and possibly manslaughter, which they will be. And they flee to “Argentina” and are extradited, which they will be. And their wives and children desert them, which they will do. And they are tried and convicted and sentenced to lengthy prison terms, which they will be. Then we can quite civilly jeer them and mock them and tell them that they are reaping what they have sowed.

Even after trump is long out of office, we will still be the country who elected trump. And nothing will change that.

30 Likes

Yes, would somebody please think of the feeling of the lawmakers that are allowing the concentration camps? They feel so bad when you point out they are in favor of human right violations.

The poor things.

13 Likes

The Know-Nothing 27% will still be with us in 2020 or 2024. Being civil to them, following the requests of self-described “polite and rational” opportunistic “free”-market fundies, is exactly what got us into this mess in the first place. There are a wide range of appropriate reactions to right-wing populists, but civility isn’t one of them.

There won’t be a Nuremberg-like reckoning for these fascists, either. We’re not at the end of an existential threat caused by them, we’re at the beginning.

Putting aside their response to jeering, which amounts to nailing themselves up on crosses, I’ll point out the multitude of concern trollies who show up in these discussions about jeering and mockery being hurtful and counterproductive and, yes, uncivil.

17 Likes

to put kids in concentration camps is a real stain on the nation’s character

Don’t mistake the character to be a stain.

3 Likes

It is scary when the difference between The Onion and actual statements by politicians are virtually indistinguishable.

We have currently outstripped the imaginations of satirists and parody in general.

17 Likes