HP's laptop is world's thinnest

[Read the post]

some say ā€˜itā€™s the thinnest laptopā€¦ in the worldā€™

1 Like

But will it play Borderlands?

1 Like

Do not need thin, need strong and reliable.

17 Likes
4 Likes

First thing I look for in a laptop is thin. Nothing else really matters after that: price, performance, weight, battery life. They are all just icing and frou frous.

Thin is everything.

[needless to say Iā€™m being sarky, Iā€™ve never really been concerned with thin in a laptop. Hell, Iā€™m barely concerned in a phone as a bit thicker tends to make it more rigid and less likely to crack]

10 Likes

I think weā€™re poised for an IBM Thinkpad come-back. Their marketing campaign should be a crossover with Doveā€™s ā€œReal Beautyā€ campaign

7 Likes

I have a brand new HP laptop. It has the most unstable wifi of any laptop Iā€™ve ever owned in the last 15 years, even from when I was trying to get Broadcom garbage working on the very early versions of Ubuntu. Not to mention Windows 10ā€¦

2 Likes

ā€¦ and that it only knows two facts about ducks, both of which are wrong.

4 Likes

And does not run Windows 10. Or 8.

6 Likes

The HP of the time of that goofy logo (hp stands for ā€œhigh pricedā€) made good stuff, engineered from first principles. Too bad they killed it.

4 Likes

My personal laptop is a Lenovo (not a Thinkpad anymore, but a refurbished Flex 3). Itā€™s no Thinkpad, but still far better than anything else Iā€™ve used recently.

My work laptop is a Dell. I have no idea why my employer keeps using them.

1 Like

They have good enterprise deals.
I have had both business grade Dells (Latitudes)and Lenovos (Thinkpads) for work. On the whole the business class machines are solid and good stuff.
Consumer end Dells enh, more or less the same as any other big vendor out there. I have no experience with a Lenovo non thinkpad machine.

3 Likes

Service is great according to my IT Department.

The one where I work. I donā€™t own an IT department.

I donā€™t mind if it will run Windows 10, but my next laptop does actually need to run Mint properly.

2 Likes

Yeah they do good where I currently work as well. Admittedly most of the time the solution is flatten and reload, but I learned long ago it amounts to hey would could research and trouble shoot for 2 days or hey fresh image in 2 hours give or take. Which do you pick.
I have only had one lemon of all my work machines and that one had a previous owner. By the time it was refreshed I everything but the motherboard and case had been replaced.
Also since used to do server support for a big amount of servers I take a more relaxed view of hardware failure cause even at .1% failure rate with 20k boxes out there something breaks every day.

Well, one problem is that they send us whatever the heck laptops they feel like, so thereā€™s half a dozen different models in use at the same time with Windows 7, 8, or 10. Not sure what ā€œbusiness gradeā€ implies in a laptop, but the amount of time someone on my three person team is out of commission because of broken hardware isā€¦ probably two weeks a year. And theyā€™re supposed to replace our laptops after three years, but refuse to until they break.

And what, pray tell, does the Nyquist limit really mean?

The worst computer product I have every purchased was HP - embarrassing product they should be ashamed to have released. After that I can never look at anything they make and believe.

Umm thatā€™s a bad contract you have then. We all get some recent model of Latitude depending on where in the refresh schedule you are. While there are different models there basically 2 or 3 that mostly look the same. Engineers and developers can get the Precision line if they really need the horsepower.
As far as the OS goes everyone gets a standard company OS image which is still win7. Win10 is available as beta and unsupported by the dell guys right now. I actually have win10 running on a desktop box for app testing and if it goes well I may actually image my laptop with it and be ahead of the game for once as the schedule looks to be first quarter next year.

1 Like