Hugh Howey's Dust, final volume in the Silo saga

[Permalink]

Fantastic video and amazing books… What a day for WOOL fans!

1 Like

I have not read Dust yet, but I have read all the previous books. I am blown away that the first piece of that was a self publish novella. It isn’t perfect, but for a first shot at writing, it is absolutely brilliant. I hope that this is a kick off to a long writing career. What I really enjoy is that he is both an excellent writer and the story is completely captivating and satisfying. It builds a sci-fi mystery and parcels out answers while proposing new ones. Far too often authors either never make a reveal, or the reveal is lackluster and all at once. The Silo series however just keeps me coming back from more. Having finished the last book, I feel like the puzzle is almost complete and I would know my arm off for the rest.

I also LOVE how his books have no real villains. There are no psychopaths running around being evil for the fun of it. If someone does something awful, there is a reason. There is probably a damn good reason that you might empathise with. You can see why the “villains” behave as they are behaving and ask yourself which side you would pick if you had all the facts. There is no satisfying answer as to what the proper course is.

The setting is extremely original. I read a lot of sci-fi. I have read it all. This is new.

This guy is brilliant. If the Silo series is an example of what his future works might taste like, I hope he has a long and lucrative career. Seriously, the Silo series is brilliant. Go buy it right now.

1 Like

Damn you Boing Boing! Yet again you have made a book recommendation and gotten me hooked. Whipped through Wool, working my way through Shift and expect to grab Dust as soon as I can.

Rindan’s comment is dead on. Howey’s really seems to understand the concept of “Everyone is the hero of their own narrative”. It’s amazing how important that is to a story. Conflict arises, not because bad people act against good people, but because good people act on differing ideals. I certainly know who the “bad guy” is, but I can’t bring myself to outright hate them.

Once again, damn you Boing Boing!

1 Like

I’ve only read the first compilation so far but I agree it’s brilliant. However Howey had written before, Wool wasn’t his first effort.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.