Human mob defeats single AI in the battle to retake San Francisco's streets

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/12/human-mob-defeats-single-ai-in-the-battle-to-retake-san-franciscos-streets.html

4 Likes

Was it, though, Murdoch-owned tabloid? Maybe, just maybe, some people there are tired of tech companies using public streets to beta test 1-tonne vehicles.

13 Likes

One reason the 2001 Spielberg/Kubrick movie A.I. doesn’t hold up so well is that we’re supposed to see the angry humans who brutally destroy robots as the monsters, whereas the real monsters were the humans who designed robots to replace human beings in the first place. Besides, what kind of sick bastard builds a machine that can feel sadness?

17 Likes
9 Likes

[…]

Footage of the incident does not suggest angry cyclists were enacting revenge.

[…]

3 Likes

Maybe the same guys who would give a walking battery the ability to feel pain?

17 Likes

12 Likes

Also:

13 Likes

Resorting to the age-old technique that has proven so successful for humanity in the past, the angry mob surrounded the cab and beat the shit out of it.

so the next gen will have a self-destruct incorporated… declares the CEO in a strange monotone …?

5 Likes

It looks more like a bunch of people angry they weren’t the first to read and translate those scrolls from Herculaneum. Academics are always the worst.

7 Likes

You don’t want to get into it with historians. Oh no. Or linguists for that matter.

5 Likes

I feel his has little to do with AI, and everything to do with these cars being a conspicuous symbol of the baleful effect tech money and arrogance has had on the city.

20 Likes

The irony of using AI art when there’s certainly enough footage to get something from I hope doesn’t escape boingboing…

8 Likes

A bit click-baity if you ask me.

Season 14 Drinking GIF by The Simpsons

2 Likes

They’re that light?

6 Likes

After you’ve burnt off all the plastic, the batteries finish their pyrotechnic display, and the tires turn into ash and wires, they’re even lighter.
/s

5 Likes

ChatGPT will say the same about us with the oxygen and hydrogen burnt out.

4 Likes

7 Likes

Yeah, it’s all fun and games now. Wait till they start fighting back.

1 Like

Maybe two of those people were acting out the rage of humans being set aside by technology and automation. The rest just wanted to mindlessly smash something.