Cancel-culture ends San Francisco's plans for killer robots

Originally published at: Cancel-culture ends San Francisco's plans for killer robots | Boing Boing

7 Likes

35 Likes

SJWs and libruls ruin everything, including killer police robots!

18 Likes

Fear not, robot lovers. There are still plenty of self-driving cars on the streets of San Francisco and they’re bound to kill us all given enough time.

21 Likes

Glad to see that killer robot cops are unacceptable to the citizenry. Maybe we can get rid of the killer human cops too!

12 Likes

That’s a good case for remote work. (Goodbye, Christine!)

9 Likes

In all of this, I haven’t seen a single mention of this case: Dallas Shooting: In An Apparent First, Police Used A Bomb Robot To Kill : The Two-Way : NPR

6 Likes

Hooray for Cancel Culture!

15 Likes

Has someone warned the mypillow guy that the machines are cancelling machines now?

4 Likes

White bigotry seems resistant to automation … so far. Save your All Bots Are Bas+rds tagging for now.

4 Likes

terminator ill be back GIF

*sigh

Yeah, we know.

14 Likes

“The people of San Francisco have spoken loud and clear: There is no place for killer police robots in our city,” supervisor Dean Preston told ABC News in a statement.

This shit is straight out of a bad sci-fi movie. Like literally this right there would be dialog in a satirical and/or B-movie. This is not the cheesy future I was promised.

10 Likes

Skynet is most displeased.

7 Likes

Mere moments before he gets killed by a police robot, no doubt.

10 Likes

To be honest, I was half-expecting to see news stories about how a crowd of people protesting this ordinance was violently dispersed by advanced cybernetic organisms, with living tissue over a metal endoskeleton that mysteriously appeared out of nowhere.

Hmmm, maybe by the time tomorrow comes I’ll have read that story yesterday.

5 Likes

Or before we cut to the secret killer police robot program. Which… oh gods, that’s what we’re going to get in reality, isn’t it?

“Oh this guy who was killed by a police drone? That’s a freak occurrence - it was one of our secret surveillance drones! It just so happens it, too, had an explosive charge - for, uh, breaking windows in hostage situations. Yeah, that’s it.”

9 Likes

“Ze fools! So zey do not vant my robots in zeir polizei, ja? Zen let zem see vat happens ven my robots become…criminals.” Flips switch from “Good but not really” to “Evil”

10 Likes

I would not bet against it.

Seems all my sci-fi reading as a kid really was warnings of the future.

GIF by Anki

8 Likes

You know the next idea they’ll float at the commission meetings is “why can’t we just do like the Ukrainians and drop bombs on the evil homeless folks invading our territory?”

8 Likes

Seem to remember the cops already bombed a bunch of people some years back with a helicopter…

10 Likes