San Francisco put the kibosh on delivery robots for now

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/07/san-francisco-put-the-kibosh-o.html

3 Likes

San Francisco be like:

12 Likes

Razor-sharp spinning blade attachments should work to keep the sidewalks clear for these. I also think it would be nice if they had festive holiday lights for deliveries this time of year.

5 Likes

Looks like a Rascal elder-folk scooter with some arduino vision system and GPS mapping and some homegrown collision avoidance software. Can’t see how it would make money, but maybe after a few cycles of Moore’s Law?

2 Likes

Wow, I bummed out about this.

4 Likes

You know, the Streets of San Francisco aren’t crowded, chaotic, and treacherous enough… I mean, some of the hills are so significant, they have stairs built into them. No, what they would use are some giant fucking robots.

6 Likes

It looks like a pint-sized Zamboni, and with San Francisco not being a hockey town, no wonder they turned it down.

3 Likes

Why do I get the feeling that it will just beep incessantly – like a forklift backing up – all the time…

“Thou shalt not make a machine that beeps at a human.” – the Orange Catholic Bible
(Or at least that should be one of the commandments in there.)

9 Likes

eventually…

2 Likes

Pity. Someone could have remade the chase scene from Bullit with a couple of those.

3 Likes

Worker’s comp for machines? Why not office supplies while you’re at it? Free the blue mailboxes!

1 Like

Hmm… Little rolling boxes that everyone knows are filled with something worth delivering…

Nah, I can’t imagine that anyone with a crowbar to pry doors open would ever target these…

2 Likes

All I could think of:

6 Likes

I’m wondering what happens if you throw a blanket over one of these? Okay, they have GPS, how about a space blanket?

2 Likes

A jumbo chip bag.

3 Likes

YES! I immediately thought of the same. Will these new robots help restore star charts?

1 Like

WHILE ‘Company Name’ thinks delivery robots are a good idea DO
Push delivery robot over on its side;
Crowbar it open;
Steal its contents;
END WHILE

1 Like

There’s an important issue here that you’re all missing: how to pronounce the word ‘kibosh’?

I’ve noticed it becoming more popular in American discourse lately, but with a variant pronunciation to what I’m used to. The way I’ve always heard it in Blighty is with a long ‘aye’ sound and stress in the first syllable — “KY-bosh”. But I’m hearing it lately on YouTube and US news reports with a short ‘i’ sound and no stress — “kib-osh”.

Clearly, the new pronunciation is wrong </irony>, but equally clearly the US will dominate and pretty soon everybody will be saying “kib-bosh” and looking at me funny for pronouncing it the way I’ve always heard it up to now.

3 Likes

punch_daleks
(Yes, I know they can levitate now.)

2 Likes

Daleks Do Not Climb Stairs, They Level Buildings!

3 Likes