A snapshot of life in Los Angeles, 2021

Originally published at: A snapshot of life in Los Angeles, 2021 | Boing Boing

6 Likes

2041 version: The delivery drone pepper sprays the homeless guy for looking at it funny. The homeless man receives a fine on his mobile device for felony interfererence with a business model.

13 Likes

The internet was a mistake.

3 Likes

I feel like I didn’t move far enough away from the city[s]. WTF are we doing as human beings?

8 Likes

Finding newer methods of being the same old kind of shitty to other human beings.

7 Likes

I saw a similar scene myself last week at 3rd Street Promenade. Add in the wealthy tourists walking past with bags from high-end stores and all the masks and we’re definitely in Bruce Sterling or Neal Stephenson novel territory.

I’m just hoping we can still avoid Gibson or Womack territory.

9 Likes

And I’m reminded that these “autonomous” delivery robots rely heavily (i.e. are basically remotely piloted) by human operators located in areas/countries with lower wages…

Hey homeless guy, if only you moved to Estonia, you could be operating that robot (for 3.48 euros an hour)!

2041?

14 Likes

The science fiction of the past warned us of such futures, and yet, here we are.

4 Likes

The Bell Riots in 2024…

7 Likes

what is the criminal penalty for flipping the delivery robot onto its back?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.