Human remains can legally now be used as compost in California

Face GIF

1 Like

Not for me. There’s no way I’m digging up my patio again.

6 Likes

The funeral industry won’t take that lying down. :wink:

6 Likes

Excellent news… here is Caitlin Doughty eating some pizza with a drag queen…

ask-mortician-pizza

This one…

5 Likes

Are we saying a certain golf course owned by a former president in NJ was ahead of the curve here?

1 Like

It’s a really neat process, and without all the (mostly religious) weirdness associated with death and corpses, it would be even better. They have to compost each body in a separate vessel, which makes the process at least somewhat less efficient, and at least here in CO, they can’t use the compost to grow food for humans (Prions? Haven’t found an answer on that). If you don’t have your own garden, or anywhere else you can use a cubic yard of compost, you can donate the compost to a farm that can use it, which is cool. Also:

The process has met opposition in California from the Catholic Church, which say the process “reduces the human body to simply a disposable commodity.”

Well, if the Catholic Church doesn’t like it, I’m definitely interested. I want my body to be useful after death. Take my organs, turn the rest into soil, grow some stuff.

2 Likes

Just gonna leave this here…

1 Like

If you leave something like that lying around you need a professional

1 Like

I’m also thinking of the obvious slip and fall lawsuit.

1 Like

Prions are deactivated with heat, but it has to be a sustained heat, and at a temperature fairly hard to reach with compost alone.

Nasty little proteinzz me hatez them.

I just saw a thing explaining that Catholics aren’t supposed to scatter ashes, not because they gotta keep the body in one piece, but rather that it needs to be interred in a sacred place. (Like a consecrated Cemetery or chapel etc) you can be cremated but the urn has to be buried in a place like that. I’m not a catholic, but just makes me think they should find a way to make a consecrated garden for this new scenerio.

I wonder why that Catholic cemetery me and the wife are getting buried in to be near her mom is charging us about 12 grand for the plot.

I mean if it’s God’s intention that we be buried in a special place shouldn’t they provide me with that place.

What if someone can’t afford that special place, do they go straight to hell?

1 Like

Oh man I know. Well not directly, but I heard when my aunt passed away them talking about the insane costs. Like she’d already purchased a plot but it was still gonna cost thousands to put her in there. I guess that’s not included. I wasn’t even thinking of the religious implications of not affording proper burial. Good grief. It’s another racket. Everything’s a damn racket these days.

“We’ll… paupers’ graveyards ARE special places… they’re just not as special as this sweet Catholic graveyard.”

“So how would you like to pay the twelve grand?”

/ raised Catholic so I’m allowed to make fun.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.