Humanitarian organization warns Pokemon Go players to stay out of Bosnian minefields

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/07/19/humanitarian-organization-warn.html

3 Likes

Five minutes after I heard of Pokemon Go, I thought to myself ‘This is not going to end well.’ Still surprised I haven’t read any reports yet of related injuries/deaths.

6 Likes

…am I a bad person to immediately wonder how many uncaught pokemon there must be around Chernobyl?

EDIT: Toxic type, of course.

9 Likes

It’s almost definitely a net positive overall. Heck, just from a years/quality of life standpoint it’s more of a game-changer than all of the ‘get out and exercise’ efforts we’ve put out in the last decade combined.

6 Likes

If the game is using the Google Maps data on some level, then is Google Maps not aware of active minefields? And if not, wouldn’t that be a very useful thing for Google Maps to know?

3 Likes

This game certainly has demonstrated its potential to expose broken places in the world and social/environmental problems still in need of being fixed. All sorts of fascinating speculative fiction potential… I suppose these games could guide people through or past some forms of danger every bit as well as they lead people to it…

2 Likes

Its official, Pokemon Go is part of Nintendo’s evil plot to thin out the population of its most stupid members.

2 Likes

No! Definitely DO go into Bosnian monefields! All the best and rarest monsters are in there, and you don’t want to lose out because you didn’t have the balls to go get them when others will.
As Charles Darwin often said, “Don’t be a pussy!”

9 Likes

GodDAMN if your avatar doesnt have me reading that comment in the Professor’s voice.

6 Likes

not glow-in-the-dark?

1 Like

Not all minefields are well-documented or fenced off. If Google Maps tried to include minefield data people might rely on it and wind up stepping on unmapped mines.

The only reason there is still a Bosnian minefield is that they couldn’t catch them all.

3 Likes

1 Like

I think this woman has probably caught them all already.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.