Hurricane Dorian: satellite images show Grand Bahama mostly underwater

They are only notionally there for tax purposes (and laundry).

5 Likes

The storm surge will remain as long as the storm is active in the area. Basically, the huge low pressure zone at the middle of the storm pulls water towards it, assisted by the circular rotation of freakishly strong wind. The water can’t drain until the storm goes away.

14 Likes

Inside the link below is an amazing time lapse cloud sequence of Hurricane Dorian from NYT:

Where it wobbles from being a Cat 4 to a 3 to a 2 is interesting. Like a spinning top getting ready to fall over.

5 Likes

I’ve been trying to whitelist ads on BoingBoing to support the site, but it is just becoming untenable. I can’t even leave a page open without slowing down my machine.

4 Likes

The local Significant Wave Height can be viewed here at earth.nullschool.net. As of 9/3/2019, 3:32pm Nassau time, statistically significant wave height in the Bahamas is 9.81 meters. Compare with the dark blue “normal” parts of the ocean on the map, which clock in at under 1 meter.

EDIT: Correction: wave height at the current location of the storm is 9.81m; looks like the Bahamas themselves are down to about 3.5m by now. That’s still a very large volume of water.

8 Likes

It’s interesting to see how it’s pushing surf to the north.

Wave%20Ht

Happy not to be out there on a boat right now.

8 Likes

I really like uMatrix these days.

2 Likes

The amount of energy required to move that much water is mind-boggling.

8 Likes

Absolute devastation.

6 Likes

For the “pay no attention to the global warming” crowd…

Meanwhile, Warren is getting out in front of the issue:

9 Likes

Man… fuck.

7 Likes

This is truly scary damage. Here is footage from a second floor of a home:

This user has a lot of other video from the hurricane.

9 Likes

Everyone of them is a good dog.

1 Like

No, aid can be delivered by air. It just can’t be landed. Anything can be air-dropped once.

1 Like

Yeah, and people still keep thinking that atom-bombing a hurricane would cause it to break up. A 50-megaton bomb in that hurricane would be like stabbing a buffalo with a butter knife.

2 Likes

Jose is an angel.

Donate to World Central Kitchen here:
https://donate.wck.org/give/236738/#!/donation/checkout

6 Likes

That is just scary- not just for the situation in her house but the scale of water up that high everywhere on the island.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.