The Picture of Dorian Spray: Category 4 feared for hurricane approaching Florida

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/08/30/the-picture-of-dorian-spray-c.html

1 Like

Dorian warrants a multibillion dollar price tag, FEMA associate administrator Jeffrey Byard told reporters Thursday.

Based on this administration’s past performance (and current plans), I hope people in Florida stay safe and have a good Plan B…

17 Likes

I only hope it blows Trump’s enormous flagpole down.

5 Likes

Direct hit Mar A Lago!
Direct hit Mar A Lago!
Direct hit Mar A Lago!
Direct hit Mar A Lago!

Direct hit Mar A Lago!
Direct hit Mar A Lago!
Direct hit Mar A Lago!
Direct hit Mar A Lago!

28 Likes

26 Likes

Sadly it’s going to plough through the northern Bahamas first. I have a small house down there that my mother left me as a “bolt hole” of sorts, for when things fall apart. It’s shuttered up and pretty solidly built, but a Cat 4 is going to be a problem. I’m watching and waiting from a distance.

21 Likes

Look at it! According to the diagram, by Wednesday it’s going to be as big as Florida! /s

6 Likes

It was an annoyance when it looked like it was going to hit Purto Rico. The browns can’t vote anyway, so why are we spending money on them? /s

Now it’s a national emergency because a bunch of rich whites are going to get reamed. It’s too bad that the ocean temps are higher making it a cat4.

I have family in Orlando and Tampa, so I hope all stay safe down there, and Mar-a-Jackhole gets sucked into the ocean.

12 Likes

My advice to Florida - cut loose and steam south

3 Likes

Don’t worry, the White House is on it!

Yeah, that insane, nonsensical word-salad was a pre-recorded message, not an extemporaneous load of gibberish. This is where we are as a country.

Well, he did say it was going to hit “dead center.” Which doesn’t really make any sense unless he was talking about his own properties…

4 Likes

If you take that last paragraph and insert the words not, won’t, can’t or don’t in places you pretty much have his Puerto Rico hurricaine response.

4 Likes

Welp, that’s just putting a tin lid on it, alright.

Funny how this so-called hoax seems to have so many people panic-buying supplies…

I have both family and friends in Florida. Good luck and godspeed. It is unlikely to be a smooth, hoax-free, fake-news-free, error-free buncha days coming up…

5 Likes

On my way back from lunch today I passed a 4WD rig decked out with all kinds of gear, whip antennas and trailer with door graphics saying “Disaster Reconnaissance” on them. Interesting job. Specialized.

This was in the NoVaDC area so, they have a long way to go today.

Here’s hoping it somehow misses Puerto Rico completely.

6 Likes

Food and water? Hell, those people need paper towels!

3 Likes

My last visit to Florida was in 2004, or as I called it, “The Year of Many Hurricanes.” My August trip was postponed three times due to storm conditions, and when Hurricane Frances came along they showed an image on the news so large, we couldn’t see Florida under it. My least favorite of that season was Hurricane Ivan, which crazily made a few hard turns after landfall, and hit the US in multiple places.

1 Like

Yes! When you look from the top, these storms look huge, and indeed are huge if you measure them from the furthest extent of the ‘swirly bit’ when viewed from the top. I expect this is what makes people so ready to misinterpret the risk plots as the actual storm path.

Thanks goodness, the actual business end is rather smaller. But there is so much action there it becomes hard to track.

Gators, Hurricanes, and Rednecks, oh my!
Gators, Hurricanes, and Rednecks, oh my!

1 Like

Stay safe, all Florida BBers!

7 Likes

When Trump said it was almost certain to hit “dead center,” it turns out that was exactly what he meant:

"Yeah, it would look like Mar-a-Lago is dead center,” Trump said, gesturing with his right hand.

Bwahahaha!

(Maybe we should consider nuking the hurricane to see what happens…)

3 Likes

You may just get your wish:

https://time.com/5665863/hurricane-dorian-trump-mar-a-lago/

And you’re not the only one who’s thinking it:

5 Likes