Hurricane Ida (and Aftermath) Thread

I hope you hear from your dad soon. :crossed_fingers: :heart:

16 Likes

20 Likes

We have good friends in Florida they’ve been through a few hurricanes but they always put up the shutters and went north until…

The community they live in built a clubhouse to withstand a hurricane so they decided to ride one out in the clubhouse with some other residents. They said they were safe but would never do it again because of the sound when it passed over.

I feel for anyone that doesn’t have the resources to evacuate.

10 Likes

Louisiana’s governor John Bel Edwards lamented that, “if you had to draw up the worst possible path for a hurricane in Louisiana, it would be something very, very close to what we’re seeing”, warning residents of his state to brace for potentially weeks of recovery.

6 Likes
14 Likes

Huh. So government infrastructure projects have some value?

Good to know.

14 Likes

For anyone looking to flee toward electricity (or helping coordinate for those that are),
I-10 from New Orleans to Baton Rouge is currently emergency use only as is I-55 north from I10 to Mississippi (and a short stretch in McComb).

Partial list of other closures here:

9 Likes
9 Likes

I hadn’t heard of them before. I sent some money to them. Thanks for posting that. :heart:

4 Likes

You’re welcome!

It really does look like an awesome org that’s doing awesome work.

3 Likes
11 Likes
9 Likes

Ok finally heard from my dad who is fine. They got a lot of water and all the powers lines are down but he just got his phone working and checked in with me.

22 Likes

Happy Joy GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

12 Likes

thats a relief GIF by SYFY

10 Likes
8 Likes

The hurricane knocked out the pumps and it flowed downhill. /s

http://onetuberadio.com/2014/11/07/why-the-mississippi-river-flows-uphill/

6 Likes

Happy Megan Mullally GIF by Will & Grace

7 Likes

I just got an email from Fair Fight that includes them in their list of suggested orgs to support (or to use as resources to get help) that are helping those impacted by Hurricane Ida.

Here’s their list (they linked straight to the donation pages, but I changed the links so they go to the home pages) :

• Imagine Water Works : A climate justice organization operating a mutual aid network for those impacted by Hurricane Ida.
  • Cajun Navy Relief: Provides volunteer rescue operations as well as supplies for residents.
  • Mutual Aid Disaster Relief: A grassroots volunteer network supporting impacted communities, especially those most marginalized, during crises.
  • Another Gulf is Possible : A grassroots collective distributing donations to support vulnerable families and communities impacted by Hurricane Ida.
  • Feed the Second Line : A non-profit organization dedicated to supporting the culture bearers of New Orleans, working to secure and repair homes after Hurricane Ida.
10 Likes

Cajun Navy is fer real, y’all.
they do good work…
this ain’t no tRumptilla, no matter what you gather from that name, Cajun Navy is there to help.

11 Likes