Huuuge Newfoundland pup tries hard to share couch with human, but no such luck

Originally published at: Huuuge Newfoundland pup tries hard to share couch with human, but no such luck | Boing Boing

12 Likes

19 Likes

If it sits, it fits

16 Likes

But think about the energy savings when you have an animal who can keep you warm in winter!

Youtube Laughing GIF by Rosanna Pansino

10 Likes

A wise sculpture professor once taught me his special rule for pets:

“Never get anything that shits bigger than you do.” ~ The Wittershiem Rule

12 Likes

There are a couple of Newfies living down the road from me - they are utterly adorable - but the slobber - oh dear lord, the slobber…

11 Likes

I’ve always wanted a Newfoundland. Instead I’m fostering a Boston terrier. Very different models.

6 Likes

I love Newfoundlands! My mother had one decades ago. I was the only person that let the dog be a lapdog. It was great!

7 Likes

If I let a Newfie try to sit in my lap, I’m not entirely sure I would survive. Most of them outweigh me.

7 Likes

Would be a worthwhile way to die

9 Likes

A pooch skooch.

3 Likes

I can certainly imagine many worse ways to go.

4 Likes

A friend had a few, and liked to take them to “Newfie days”, where they show off what they do second-best (after “drooling”).

Newfies were bred to do water rescues. If a human floats face-down near one (even an untrained one), they’ll jump in, swim to the human, roll the human onto their back (the human’s not the Newfie’s), swim into position so they’re parallel, touching ribcages, mouth gently wrapped around the human’s upper arm. Then they swim to shore.

Their swimming stroke isn’t a normal “dog paddle”. It looks more like a “one-arm-at-a-time breast stroke”. And according to people who’ve been carried along by one: once they’ve got you, you’re not going anywhere else. They’re very strong swimmers.

17 Likes

One summer there was a a liveaboard sailboater with a Newfie where I grew up. The dog understandably spent most of his time hanging around the dock. He loved kids and would follow us around, which was how he found the way to the swimming beach. No child could swim further out than the end of the breakwater when that dog was there. He would round up young swimmers back to safer waters like a border collie herding sheep. Such a great dog!

15 Likes

sounds like breeders trying to reinvent the sea lion

3 Likes

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.