Hypnotic and insightful video of old school comic book inking

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/19/hypnotic-and-insightful-video-of-old-school-comic-book-inking.html

4 Likes
3 Likes

Inspirational! I had assumed the medium would be pen and ink, rather than brush (and maybe other artists do use pen rather than brush), but brushwork gives much more expressive lines.

4 Likes

Yes, quoted to we inkers for over a quarter century by our friends. We are all Banky Edwards!

4 Likes

Agreed - for me, using a brush is much much speedier as well. I gave a dip-pen a try for a couple of years in the mid-90s and it had its own merits, but it took me ages to finish a page. I switched back to using a brush fully, which still took a good 5-10 years to feel like I’d ‘mastered’ (read: gained enough confidence to try strokes and patterns without fear of messing it up) using the tool.

Some artists do use pen, and some use both - or whatever tools work the best for a particular effect at the time. I also see work by artists which looks like it had to be a pen, but they confirm that they are 100% brush and it blows my mind.

6 Likes

Well, I don’t think your a tracer! My daughter is an artist, so she quote often inks her own drawings, and I can see how much work goes into it.

5 Likes

I love to hear this! Does she work traditional (ink on paper) or digital for her pieces?

Digital inking and tools have come a long way, and skilled artists can make some really traditional-looking work these days. I tried out doing some digital inking with a cheap pen/touchpad in the mid aughts, but it didn’t send me. I also like having the physical art piece to look at and touch with all its uneven ink strokes/coverage as well.

I think the more modern digital drawing pads where your stylus/pen is actually engaged with the image on-screen probably narrows the ‘feel’ gap between artist and medium also.

6 Likes

Both. She has filled up hundreds of notebooks at this point, and also draws digitally.

it seems like they have, just over the course of her life.

Makes sense!

2 Likes

I’ve seen instructional videos by botanical artists using coloured pencil, and they all stress using the lightest feather touch to achieve delicate effects of leaves and blossoms. The absolute control of the medium is amazing. My hands cramp just watching the videos.

1 Like

That’s my happy place, after a week of working with digital art, nothing beats getting my hands dirty (and everything/everyone else nearby) with some charcoal or pastels.

1 Like

The other benefit I miss out on is the Ctrl-Z factor, or defining patterns using your own strokes and repeating, etc.

4 Likes

This Is Cool GIF by MOODMAN

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.