Hypothetical Mars colony won't recognize U.S. or international law

I firmly believe that Elon Musk is an egotistical, morally bankrupt oligarch that just wants his own personal colony where he owns everything on Mars or wherever the fuck he goes. I and tons of other people fucking knew that he wanted his own Galt’s Gulch on Mars. Trying to separate the person from his corporations is simply not possible at this point.

A little shameless self-promotion, but I made this thread a couple of weeks ago to try and discuss how manned spaceflight in the U.S. has been a mess that’s been at odds with equality and justice and what we could do to fix that. This is the kind of shit that I’m worried about.

I also found this Instagram video by Thomas Cheney for the Centre for a Spacefaring Civilization that discusses the issues around a hypothetical Mars colony. He says that the Outer Space Treaty is written out that states have a responsibility for the actions of their nationals in outer space. So the United States has jurisdiction and responsibility for whatever Musk and his companies do in space and we also can give and revoke licenses. This, at the very least, leaves him and his companies and his colonies wide open to regulation and governance by the U.S… We also probably need to shore up international and national laws and regulations, just to be on the safe side.

This is just me, but I feel like he’s more of an avid reader of Ayn Rand. Maybe he’s read both and that’s where his delusions of grandeur come from.

26 Likes