Neuralink, Elon Musk's brain-computer biz, unveils pig with computer chip implanted inside brain

IMHO, one needs to be careful to separate the person from his corporations. SpaceX has done an incredible job making space cool again and exciting a whole new generation of folks in exploration in a way that nothing had up to that point. Tesla made electric vehicles “cool” in a way that no Prius was ever going to. And both ventures have caused unmistakeable changes to their industries. If Neuralink can build excitement for Neural interfaces that could one day help those living with disability overcome them, or research on autonomous cars means my elderly parents might be able to one day get around town without risking the lives of others or giving up their autonomy, then the effort is worthwhile, entirely independent of the person at the top of these companies.

I feel the same way about blue origin and virgin galactic - if these ultra-luxury, billionaire-funded corporations eventually pave the way for anyone to give me a chance to go visit space in my lifetime, or other such corporations help to make the idea of an electric vehicle fleet move from quaint fantasy to reality, or give the next generation of something to want to be a part of, or invigorate their imaginations about what sort of a world could come after our generations are done fucking up the present, then I am 100% for the efforts of the thousands of very smart people who are working their asses off because they want to make society better, regardless of the influence of one person.

13 Likes