Elon Musk: 'Tesla is restarting production today against Alameda County rules'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/11/elon-musk-tesla-is-restarti.html

7 Likes

If Musk gets arrested TSLA is going to $5000

18 Likes

Cue the lawsuits.

21 Likes

Now there’s a new parent who really, REALLY wants to get out of diaper duty.

I wonder if he intends to make a similar plea with the virus.

35 Likes

And cue the fanbois in this topic. Never fails.

ETA: On-topic, per this meme from Xeni’s original article:

[although I’d call the fanbois/personality cultists mentioned by the moderator below “Weird Libertarian Nerds”]

34 Likes

I really hope he tries to fire people for disobeying a lawful order.

18 Likes

Then they wouldn’t come to work. It’s a win-win situation!

4 Likes

Also it’ll be a slam dunk wrongful termination suit.

15 Likes

If anyone is arrested, I ask that it only be me.

15 Likes

Come on, Musk’s grasp of epidemiology and risk assessment is unimpeachable. I mean he totally called the “no new cases by the end of April!” thing. It isn’t like he has a track record of being wrong as shit about this stuff.

Billionaires clearly have everyone’s best interests at heart. I can’t wait to join his Mars colony where I have no doubt he will rule with similar benevolence, foresight, and pan-topic genius.

38 Likes

Stepping away from Musk fanboi/personality cult hatred for a moment, I’m interested as to why Alameda County isn’t certifying a re-opening. Are they saying that there’s no level of social distancing / PPE / worker protection possible to reopen the plant? Because if that’s their determination, there’s a much larger issue at stake than just “when”.

17 Likes

And that’s why you need a union and Musk don’t want you to have one.

31 Likes

8 Likes

I have actually seen Elon Musk’s cult of personality on places like Reddit dissolving pretty fast in lieu of his recent meltdowns.

13 Likes

From what I’ve seen, it is indeed more a matter of timing than anything else. The county and state have decided that it’s still too early to open non-essential manufacturing plants given the continuing growth in cases. Also, Musk hasn’t specified how many people he wants to bring back to work; “everyone else” implies that he wants to bring staffing in the plant immediately up to 100%

Workplace safety plans are important, but they tend to be implemented after the questions of “when” as well as the “how many”. Here’s a more productive take on those questions than Musk’s petulant “mommy can’t tell me what to do!” approach:

18 Likes

Because the argument for allowing them to resume business operations against the stay-at-home order hinges on the idea that the factory constitutes “critical infrastructure.”

I mean, electric cars are a good thing and all, but “critical infrastructure” they are not… ESPECIALLY at a time when few people are driving at all.

28 Likes

trump is repeating like 90% of nixon-era

covid19 behavior is repeating like 90% of “spanish flu”

7 Likes

That’s the chump play. Investors in the know are putting their money behind the growth in innovation in the shiv market leading to increased returns on commissary futures.

17 Likes

I see prison commissary vending machines where you can insert a finger and exchange it for a shiv.

This is a one-way deal, you understand. This is not a finger pawn shop. Once you cut off a finger in a prison vending machine, just let that finger go, because it is gone.

But hey – now you have a shiv! And you look badass, missing a finger like that!

14 Likes

I suspect there will be an injunction or two filed, but not much physical enforcement.

Musk can afford the legal fees, the neighborhood diner or barber not so much.

4 Likes