Elon Musk: 'Tesla is restarting production today against Alameda County rules'

But he’s doing it for a good cause: $700M!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/elon-musk-qualifies-700m-stock-032026690.html

Oh and this guy…

22 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

I suspect the situation is more that Tesla can’t afford the delay.

6 Likes

Bob Heinlein told me the “libertarian space colonies” are actually run by a central computer named Mike

Hail Siri full of grace, blessed art thou among technologies

15 Likes

Oh, we’ll start with you. And we will make no effort to delay or apprehend anyone else who appears to be leaving the premises.

But ten minutes after you’re cuffed and in the car, we start on whoever of your senior staff is still onsite, who don’t appear to be in the process of leaving.

Again, we will make no move to delay or apprehend anyone who wants to leave after the Deputy Sheriffs arrive, we want to make sure that everyone who is there under duress has an opportunity to leave.

Twenty minutes after the last of the senior execs are cuffed and in the vans, we start on middle management. Are you getting the picture here?

We understand that Mr. Musk is essentially hostage-taking. By opening up the plant and declaring he personally will be on the line, he’s making sure of the implied threat that anyone who Isn’t there will be noted, and dealt with later.

14 Likes

Have you actually read the complaint they submitted? Or the federal guidance at cisa.gov that the CA governor referenced in his order? Or, for that matter, even Alameda County’s own FAQ, which explicitly names several renewable-energy products (solar panels, batteries, EV chargers, and the manufacturing associated with them - all of which occur at the Fremont factory?

Tesla plants in neighboring counties in CA are open - most of them never shut down. Detroit’s car manufacturers are re-opening. Only car that can’t be legally built in this country at present is Tesla.

Did you know that the federal guidelines at CISA referenced in Newsom’s CA shutdown orders actually used a thumbnail photo of GM’s former Corvette plant in Lordstown — the one Hair Furor has been trying to order them to “reopen” despite having already sold it — to illustrate the entire “Critical manufacturing” category? While listing “vehicle manufacturing” explicitly?

Seriously, read the complaint. It’s all detailed there. And it’s a very clear, readable document. (Which is usually the case when one hires Quinn Emanuel LLP :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

So, did you miss the part where Elon told his workers:

…?

I suspect Elon’s asking that they arrest (just) him, because he’s well aware that Alameda County has no authority whatsoever to criminalize CA State Civil Code violations, and he’s calling their bluff.

1 Like

“If you feel uncomfortable doing what I tell you, please feel free to find another job”

22 Likes

Yup. That “if you don’t feel comfortable coming back to work,” line is a trap that many of us have seen before. It quickly becomes “well, clearly you aren’t comfortable working here, so we’ve relieved you of any need to show up, ever again. Please contact the office for your Record of Employment which will show that you were terminated with cause for failure to show up for your assigned shifts.”

Tesla is notorious for safety violations already. Why should this be any different?

23 Likes

Otto Von Biz Markie is my new hero, for so many different reasons.

3 Likes

I didn’t miss it at all, I actively discounted it.

I believe the opposite of it, exactly because he took the time to say it. That is, his credibility in this matter is worse than zero, it’s actually negative.

Fuck him, and the workaholic horse he rode in on. This is the guy who said we need to work 80 to 100 hours a week to change the world.

https://www.inc.com/business-insider/elon-musk-says-you-need-to-work-80-hours-a-week-to-save-the-world.html

Well, news to you, Musk-boy. You can’t change the world if you’re fucking dead.

Even if he doesn’t make a point of firing everyone who doesn’t show up to his pity-party, you can be sure the opposite will happen. Everyone who does show up gets short-listed for a raise and a promotion.

22 Likes

“Nobody beats the Biz…”

7 Likes

I am sure he will take a calm, rational approach to employees not coming in because they feel uncomfortable:

True story: Tesla recruits on my campus and, of course, some students go. Maybe even a lot of students go AFAIK. But at the same time though, I have friends who just skip it because of this reputation. We have the benefit of other options though and no sunk-cost-fallacies to remain loyal for.

21 Likes

Ah, okay. So never mind what the man actually said, let’s just stick with what you imagine, eh?

2 Likes

That’s…not how law enforcement works. The cops aren’t Uber.

Back to the Future, Prart II - Roads, We Don't Need Roads - DeLorean - Abandon Thread

18 Likes

If anyone wants to boycott Elon Musk by giving away their Tesla I’ll take it.

1 Like

You’re right, I’m sure that the megalomaniacal, safety-regulation-scoffing workaholic who is so upset by the idea that his factory isn’t open RIGHT NOW that he is eager to break the law just to be there IN PERSON even though he just became a father THIS WEEK is going to be totally cool and understanding if a few of his employees decide to stay home for safety reasons.

Totally won’t factor into evaluations determining which employees get laid off or promoted in the weeks, months or years down the road.

How silly of us to even consider such a thing.

23 Likes

better turn that “autopilot” off before driving it home

10 Likes

White Nerd who generally liked Elon Musk here - I know quite a few other nerds who also liked him, and consensus is almost 100% that he’s out of his fucking mind at this point.

The last year was a lot of “okaaaay… yeah, he’s just so rich he just DGAF and is saying whatever but he’s still generally a good businessman with good ideas.” Then the “Tesla stock is too high” and following tweets happened, which led to a 50/50 “has his account been hacked” / “is the stress getting to him” question. And since he announced the “name” of his child it’s been pretty solidly “WTF? Is he crazy or trolling? Or is he trolling because he’s crazy?”

Today has put me pretty solidly into the “he’s crazy+stupid at this point” camp.

10 Likes