Tesla to reopen Fremont factory Friday, despite ongoing coronavirus lockdown

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/08/tesla-to-reopen-fremont-factor.html

1 Like

You mean the Supreme Court that is currently hearing arguments through conference calls so they don’t freaking die?

I mean, maybe.

15 Likes

Quelle surprise. He’s like an overexcited Pomeranian. I hope the penalties will be exceptional. But I expect not much.

At least he’s going to be right there on the line, personally helping wherever he can. I know that I always do my best work when the top boss is right there, hovering over my shoulder and asking how he can help. Mix in a global pandemic, and the Tesla models made in 2020 will be to die for. Or from. Whichever.

10 Likes

Open up on a Friday afternoon?

I realize that factory work isn’t 9 to 5, but this seems like an out-of-touch choice, especially for those that don’t work weekends. I’d like to know details.

4 Likes

Maybe he just wants to get away from changing nappies?

5 Likes

Highly leveraged billionaire, weeks away from cashing out, must throw some bodies on the fire in order to secure his dreams of controlling Mars. Wild.

8 Likes

I doubt there will be penalties for opening, as manufacturing is one of the things the modified shelter in place order will allow starting Friday (today?). There might be penalties for not operating in a safe manner (including distancing, and mandatory masks, closing indoor break areas, and having seating 6+ft apart in outdoor break areas).

This isn’t like before when Elon decided to claim to be essential when his work was definitely not declared as such. He is actually allowed to reopen as long as he follows a specific set of guidelines (I won’t comment on the wisdom of the change, or the wisdom of deciding that if the government allows it and “I want it” that it must be safe!)

3 Likes

Maybe, I mean a lot of people who are out of work and have bills to pay would like to get back to work. I’m not saying it is safe for them to do so, but I would be utterly unsupervised if most of the people that would return say Monday morning would be perfectly fine to return Friday evening. (also I don’t know about Tesla, but many plants run evening shifts anyway to get the maximum return from the equipment…others run day shifts so the plant is shut on a fixed schedule and mantanace/repairs can be done without impacting the regular schedule)

1 Like

That’s what I thought too, at first. Until I realized I skimmed past this part:

In Alameda where the factory is located, they aren’t scheduled to relax restrictions until May 31.

6 Likes

Elon Musk is working really hard at earning his evil genius merit badge.

3 Likes

Oh, yeah, um, I think you read more goodly then me do?

Guessed I missed that. I wonder how many counties have similar orders? I mean I think Alamedia was one of the six that closed before the CA wide shelter order. A local nursery and my eye doctor both told me they would be reopening soon. Hopefully they don’t make similar mistakes.

2 Likes

I’m just waiting for Musk to “do a DeLorean” and get involved with any criminal who can help him pull his nuts out of the fire.

2 Likes

He’s just evil, you can cut the genius part.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Quelle surprise - Alameda say no:

Oh dear Elon, boo hoo… :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Musk? Wasn’t that the guy who rejected OSHA-mandated safety markings on his factory floors, because he dislikes the color yellow?

6 Likes

…aaaaand now he’s thrown his toys out of the pram over it:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.