HYST Generic Discussion Thread

Continuing the discussion from Have you seen THIS?.
If there were a hedgehog clickbait quiz, I’d be answering question one before my brain even knew what was happening.

3 Likes

Are you asking if we’ve seen the article, or the tape?

2 Likes

I would rather see the article, even my warped crazy brain that goes “ping pong balls from where? I so so need to see that!” shudders at the thought of the contents of the tape.

3 Likes

Wait till you see the Hulk Hogan/Trump one.

3 Likes

What if there was a tape, it was found and publicly released, and it just propelled Trump to new levels of Kardashian/Paris Hilton fame?

2 Likes

Yep gonna go get the brain bleach now… thanks, I think.

2 Likes
1 Like

Parr continues by saying a Trump sex tape must exist. “Trump is too egotistical for it not to exist. You know I’m right.”

A further note asks the question, “Wouldn’t a Donald Trump sex tape help his campaign?”

The response was a resounding “no,” pointing out that sex tapes never help a man’s career and referring to Hulk Hogan, Dustin Diamond and Anthony Wiener and their experiences.

Normal rules do not apply to Trump. He will just make a sex tape and release it, then it will help his campaign. He is too egotistical to think that people wouldn’t want to see it.

1 Like

It’s amazing to me. It’s like everyone I know made this same decision to just avoid coverage. We all know what happened, we all know why, there’s nothing to do about it now except be depressed.

After becoming peripherally aware of an opinion piece in CBC about how the judge isn’t the one to blame I did what I thought I wasn’t going to do and read the ruling. Oh my god. I feel like I have nothing to say about this except that I’m glad judge Horkins and many others like him will be retired or dead by the time my children are adults. Hopefully we see some movement on these issues between generations.

1 Like

Did anyone else see this?

I Said No to Bill Cosby and Yes to Jian Ghomeshi

1 Like

How can you not love the Beast of Bolsover?

Bercow’s still a tit, though.

1 Like

ouch. that is nightmare fuel right there.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Have you seen THIS?:

#OF COURSE YOU HAVE YOU LITTLE PERVS

2 Likes

I agree, but there have been a number of times recently where SF has seemed pretty tone deaf about issues that you would expect him to be more sensitive about. Flouncing off Twitter because of some criticism, complaining that the atmosphere has changed from the wonderful environment it was before. If anything, he seems to be experiencing a very mild reaction to the wonderful world of free speech on Twitter. I think his comments at the BAFTAS were well-intentioned and meant to be a gentle ribbing or a compliment of her strength as a person in the face of society’s expectations, but I didn’t see anything abusive in response or anything that wouldn’t go under the banner of free speech. His comments here aren’t completely new, but they go from pretty good advice that he’s said before - “self-pity is self-destructive and self-fulfilling, and you have to work against it for your own good” to “you should just grow up; people won’t like you if you feel sorry for yourself”.

Somewhat ironically for someone who is so negative about the idea of triggers, external criticism really seems to trigger him (this is more of an observation/possible explanation than a criticism).

3 Likes

I didn’t know he had left Twitter, I was actually going to tweet at him to ask him if he’s okay. I’ve always experienced his public persona as a caring one, so having him use his platform to bully people who were sexually abused as children seems out of character. He’s spent years doing mental health advocacy and now he’s held up one of the groups of people most vulnerable to mental health problems for scorn.

I like Stephen Fry, I think I still like Stephen Fry, and watching him act like a stereotypical entitled upper class white guy is depressing.

3 Likes

He was actually my oldest remaining follower until he suspended his account.

He certainly does have a track record on overreactions to criticism. I think this was a pretty clueless statement from him, which isn’t especially out of character. With his own well-publicized issues, I think he could have done without the “National Treasure” title being bestowed upon him. He’s a smart guy, doesn’t mean he doesn’t make mistakes, or that his opinions should be paid especial attention to.

3 Likes

No-one is immune from being pointed to this thread:

4 Likes

I have never been able to come back to active “liking” him after he went off about how women don’t like sex…

The older he gets, the more entrenched he becomes in his (rich) old-white-man privilege. The more reactive he gets to people disagreeing with him or trying to point out how what he says may be hurtful/problematic. And worst of all the more certain he becomes that his thoughts on any matter are the only correct views and that his experience is the universal default.

So to me, this most recent social media tantrum is just yet another old-white-man complaining that he can’t speak without impunity anymore… and that of course thats not HIS fault, its all OUR fault for “misunderstanding” him. /eyeroll

7 Likes

I read his stated reasons for leaving twitter in which he called it “a stalking ground for the sanctimoniously self-righteous who love to second-guess, to leap to conclusions and be offended”.

I think he’s right about that. I also think that most of the time when someone complains about twitter being like that, they are part of the group that are the largest contributors to it. If you want to find permanently offended people on twitter, look for angry men who don’t like anyone mentioning their privilege. Those guys seem to never calm down.

I guess if I’d paid attention I would have known earlier, but it really is a little hard to see someone you think you like be such an asshole. He’s apologized now - and it reads like a real apology - but he’s definitely got a big entitlement cloud hanging over him that this revealed (to me at least), apology or not. Well, he’s still no Jeremy Clarkson, but that’s what they like to call “damning with faint praise”.

5 Likes

Thats his pattern though and thats what turned me off. He talks out of his ass until someone complains, then he gets annoyed that someone could “misunderstand” him, then he apologizes (obviously only after someone has explained to him what he did). Lather, rinse, repeat. Only it seems the tantrums are getting worse with each round of ridiculous. You’ve talked about your daughter before, does this not seem similar to you? :wink:

These are not the hallmarks of a very smart person, despite his whole image being that of a very smart person.

1 Like