HYST Generic Discussion Thread

I think my daughter is very smart!

I see the pattern, and it’s not very impressive. It’s a step up from what I’d bet on if I knew a celebrity made a comment like the one he made - i.e., most would not listen to the people who told them why they were wrong. Anyway, I think I can still enjoy watching QI, which is what the Clarkson comparison was about. Turns out Stephen Fry something of a dumb shit, but looking at his face doesn’t fill me with rage.

3 Likes

This was his last season hosting it anyway. If MrsTobinL is to be believed Jo Brand will be taking over. I kinda look forward to that as I really like her a lot.

4 Likes

OMG REALLY? I LOVE JO BRAND SO MUCH!!!

Yes, sometimes I need all caps, jeez…

3 Likes

I used to really like QI but I find Alan Davies even more annoying than I do Fry.

1 Like

Wow, that’s great news. Hearing Fry is leaving is a bit disappointing because I thought, “Who could fill that role?” but Jo Brand is a fucking great choice.

5 Likes

@OtherMichael: Is that an Olson twin baby doll?

1 Like

Maybe? Everything else in the article is pretty old, though. Give it a read!

1 Like

That was a good read. I hope she prevails.

1 Like

HOLY CRAP:

That alone might well have been enough to loft Harold von Braunhut into the pantheon of toy inventors, alongside Uncle Milton Levine, D.F. Duncan and George Parker. Except for one almost unimaginable and horrible thing. Harold von Braunhut was a neo-Nazi. Moreover, a Jewish neo-Nazi. He was born Harold Nathan Braunhut, to Jewish parents. He inserted the “von” to sound more Germanic.

Von Braunhut even indulged his dark side with one particular invention — the Kiyoga, a retractable baton for beat-downs also known as the Steel Cobra. When Richard Butler, the head of Aryan Nations, was indicted in the late ’80s, he encouraged his supporters to buy Kiyogas because the “manufacturer had made a pledge of $25 to my defense fund for each one sold to Aryan Nations supporters.” After an Anti-Defamation League report emerged, von Braunhut refused to answer any more questions and was known to simply slam down the phone when any reporter called him.

His background is the source of great remorse on marketing chat boards, where writers are distraught that someone as visionary as the X-Ray Spex and Sea-Monkey guy could be such a racist head case. “I came close to writing a biography,” wrote a contributor known as Kierkegaard, but found it would be too “difficult to write a sympathetic account due to his political views.” Apparently there are some realities that marketing can’t obscure.

Signorelli von Braunhut grew quiet, even sad, when I brought up this subject. There are calculated silences at the heart of any marriage, and this was definitely one. “Harold and I never really talked about things like that,” she told me. “We just really loved each other, and I didn’t question him or interrogate him.” She said, “I am very inclusive with everybody” and “that’s why I live on a farm with all kinds of animals and try to impact the earth in the least possible way and try to live a peaceful, happy, loving life.”

1 Like

Wait a tic. Did you direct me to read an article you hadn’t actually completely read?!?

1 Like

Have you never recommended something to somebody after only reading a few fantastic paragraphs, and then going off to fix lunch for the babby, change his diapers, and lie down with him for a nap, then come back and read the rest of what confirms your initial suppositions, an excellent article?

7 Likes

Good gravy, babby takes naps?? I didn’t get that luxury for long.

4 Likes

Oh yeah his associations once uncovered have been well known. He was not a nice guy by any measure.

1 Like

MrsTobinL and I always were aghast at the daycare/preschool teachers who would report that our kid was their best napper. Could never get him to lie down for a nap at home cause mom and dad might do something fun and interesting without him.
He still gets that way even when we tell him we go do things he would not want to do.

4 Likes

Viral marketing fake, unsurprisingly.

4 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Have you seen THIS?:

Florida Man, Florida Man
Doing the things a Florida can
What’s he like? It’s not important
Florida Man

Is he a dot, or is he a speck?
When he’s underwater does he get wet?
Or does the water get him instead?
Nobody knows, Florida Man

3 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Have you seen THIS?:

That’s here, right?

4 Likes

Yep that last one. That’s here, well other side of the mountains from us but yeah.

3 Likes

Conveniently located near the Grand Coulee dam. It takes a lot of energy to refine plutonium.

4 Likes

Funny that @OtherMichael’s article didn’t mention the single-walled tanks… Perhaps they have already taken care of them?
I love a good engineering challenge, but there is not enough chocolate and beer in the world to pay me to take responsibility for even one of those cesspools…

3 Likes