HYST Generic Discussion Thread

Adios Gawker?

No, but their insurance premiums will go up. There’s insurance for everything. “If the Patriots win the Super Bowl your furniture is free!” That’s covered by insurance.

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Have you seen THIS?:

BOATY MCBOATFACE IS THE BEST NAME EVER!
Sometimes the Internet, you are wonderful! :smiley:

4 Likes

I’m translating the technical specifications for a polar research ship at the moment, but unfortunately it’s just going to be called Polar Stern II rather than something interesting like this. Research ships have more cranes and winches than you’d think:

4 Likes

Seems their website is experiencing ‘a high amount of traffic’.

Wonder why?

Apparently they were on Radio 2 just now to talk about this.

5 Likes

They had it on the CBC this morning too. The world just crashed their site. LOL

5 Likes

(James Hand is the former BBC Radio Jersey presenter who suggested the name, while Julia Maddock is acting associate director of communications and engagement at the NERC. Boaty McBoatface is currently nine times more popular than the next favourite name, but it may still be overruled).

4 Likes

I am tempted to call him “the one sane man in the US” which might be a bit strong, but I am now wondering why more of us aren’t up at the tops of trees by now?

2 Likes

Immigrants scapegoated and blamed for murder and general destruction, mass scale deportation… I stand with the immigrants.

3 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Have you seen THIS?:

Ayup, been avoiding twitter all day because of it, FB too, and then you go and bring it here! Sheesh!

3 Likes

I seem to only post depressing stories in the HYST thread. I should find happier stuff.

4 Likes

Meantime in Florida… a 12 year old girl was arrested for pinching the bottom of male classmate… /sigh

4 Likes

I guess I shouldn’t post this one, then?

2 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Have you seen THIS?

This is so completely ludicrous it deserves a multi-choice response.

• The NRA has been working into a more mature and thoughtful fairy tales than their usual fictional creations, though they are aimed at a more emotionally mature audience than most of their work.
  • Goldilocks’ theft and home invasion finally stopped when Papa Bear stood his ground.
  • Beauty hunts the Beast responsibly using proper gun safety practices.
  • The boy who called wolf coming to steal your guns.
  • The Ugly Duckling’s Schoolyard Rampage.
  • Florida woman regrets reading four year old NRA fairy tales after being mistaken for witch and shot by toddler in car.

0 voters

2 Likes

The actual real not what most of us know versions are already really grim and nasty. Why do they need to do this? Other than the fairy tale of self defense?

2 Likes

It’s true, the traditional versions are remarkably morbid, harsh, and violent. Some of the ones the Grimms recorded also almost psychedelically weird. It’s a mystery how they could think this was a good idea, but then again that’s almost always a mystery with the NRA.

3 Likes

I’ve been reading through some Fairy Tales with jr recently.

They are pretty horrible, generally.

4 Likes

You should read Hans My Hedgehog. It’s about a woman who gives birth to a child who’s a hedgehog from waist up, plays bagpipes, and rides around on a chicken. Then it gets weird.

8 Likes

I love them to pieces, but won’t read there originals to my kids until their older.

As far as the NRA goes, this seems to be a pet project of somebody, not a major initiative.

Nevertheless, this has inspired a bot I hope to make live before the weekend is out.

2 Likes

aaaand, first iteration is live:

https://twitter.com/NewGunMyths

4 Likes

I am sad… they don’t sell these anymore… I missed my chance… /cries

8 Likes