HYST Generic Discussion Thread

From the article:

O’Keefe graduated from Rutgers University in 2006. He says that a professor there, David Knowlton, urged him to follow Saul Alinsky’s rule book, which advised radicals to use their enemies’ rules against them.

This advice has had predictable results with O’Keefe. The problem is that from one side of the divide, we don’t know what rules our “enemies” follow. What we do know is that if we regard someone as an “enemy” then we think very, very badly of them. Thus, the rules they follow are projections of our own worst ideas. So this rule translates to, “Anything goes, nothing is immoral and don’t worry about what’s illegal. Be a total fucking asshole.” That seems to be a good summary of O’Keefe’s “rules”.

7 Likes

He forgot to mention the “after doctoring and selective editing” part, which really changes the meaning of “truest.”

3 Likes

I think that truly oppressed people do understand the rules of the oppressors, it’s a survival tactic. The fact that this douchenozzle doesn’t understand the “rules” of his opponents only reinforces the fact that he isn’t oppressed. His failure to understand his opposition is a failure of decency. It’s not like feminism is some super secret cabal hiding our rites so he can’t understand the extra complicated rules consisting of “women are people”.

4 Likes

Hasn’t been flagged as spam, but the user didn’t post anything else.

A pity, since they were online at least once afterwards.

3 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Have you seen THIS?:

Yeaaaaaah, and in another five years after Hydra has turned the whole world into its golf course, the comic will end while Cap wakes up Bucky and says “Honey, wake up, you won’t believe the dream I just had."

cf.:

a jaw-droppingly audacious twist that’s incensed comic fans and earned the writer accusations of everything from anti-Semitism to soft homophobia (for giving Steve a dual identity rather than a boyfriend).

1 Like

#MakeHydraGreatAgain

4 Likes

re: racial detergent I have insufficient words to express the horror, but that’s so horrible!

4 Likes

yeah that about sums it up… just umm wow.

3 Likes

#WAAAAAAAT?!?!?!? 

1 Like

Good news! I love that station.

3 Likes

Yeah the whole double s3kr3t lets sell to the other NPR station thing was a load of crap.
We give to KPLU regularly and gave a big hunk (at least for us) to this drive. I hope this gets fully accepted.

The other NPR option has basically gone pure canned content (and stuff you can get via podcast) and a pittance of local content and then they wonder why listener nuimbers are down. While they have pledge drives their books show they get more than enough money from underwriting and the UW to do what they do.

4 Likes

I pretty much only listened to KEXP (also UW, I think - or used to be?), but we currently have satellite radio which means I’ve always got the world service on now.

This story sounds a lot like what @Mindysan33 was talking about with WRAS/WABE a while back.

Isn’t this stuff about not having local content also why NPR stations aren’t pointing listeners directly at podcasts?

1 Like

The WRAS/WABE/GPB thing was a little different - it was a hostile take over by the GPB (GA Public Broadcasting) of my school’s (storied, historic) radio station. In fact WABE has ramped up local content as a result, which is kind of great. It’s been good hearing more content which focuses on ATL as opposed to more content from NPR or PRI (some of which is great and I like it). WRAS was the biggest victim in all this and it’s a damn loss to the music community. But from what I understand, the majority of programming on WRAS now by GPB is mostly NPR canned stuff, not much local content.

2 Likes

I used to listen to WSVH in the absence of anything better. I think that was NPR canned stuff and classical music.

2 Likes

It’s funny - NPR isn’t corporate, but in some ways, it’s corporate. It’s like there is a certain quirk-level they play to and it feels a bit forced. Like WABE carries shows like the TED radio hour and it’s just so… I don’t know, it’s kind of grating. There are some good shows, though. I still dig This American Life and I really enjoy On Being, but some of the culture stuff is just… hipster?

3 Likes

Ira Glass just really irritates me. I find it really hit or miss (especially when they put on David Sedaris segments). I prefer Radiolab and UnFictional.

2 Likes

Radiolab is on here at a time I generally don’t listen and I’m not sure I’ve listened to UnFictional. I’m still trying to decide on the Dinner Party Download - the hosts are irritating but I love the history and a drink segment.

1 Like

Yeah that is pretty much the content of the ‘big’ npr station here. All of those you can get as a podcast.
I will take the jazz/news of the other station.

2 Likes

Ugh. Whenever I hear of “TED talks”, I release the safety catch of my Browning.

3 Likes

There are so many capybara jokes in town right now! So so so many. Everyone is worried about the one left behind…

3 Likes