HYST Generic Discussion Thread

Oh I am in the generic discussion thread.
Anyway between no cable and parenthood… what?

2 Likes

Yeah, quite a few of them. Some are good, some… not so much.

2 Likes

Streaming while the kids are asleep, dude; where there’s wifi there’s a way.

Care to expound on which is which, in your opinion?

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Why no multiple choice? :cry:

4 Likes

Um…

Oops?

2 Likes

Penny Dreadful’s excellent. Great trashy Victorian gothic horror done right. Eva Green is fantastic in it, Rory Kinnear is sublime.

Cleverman is early days yet, but Aboriginal mythology in pop culture? Hell yeah.

Lucifer annoyed the living crap out of me, mostly because the lead is so good at “sleazy douchebag” I couldnt handle it past E04.

Preacher is very early days. Not having the comics knowledge about it, it’s a whole big bundle of WTF, wrapped in small-town Americana, violence and Johnny Cash themed weird shit. Right up my street, loving it.

Sense8 left me cold, just didn’t click with it.

Powers failed to impress enough to make a hole in my time for it. I didn’t dislike it though.

Outcast and Killjoys - not seen yet.

Just my opinion for the little that’s worth.

Edit: I mean, I could expand for a bit on each of them, but I’m no TV critic and my taste is known to be suspect.

3 Likes

I’ve always known it as a neoconservative site? I had a friend from college who became a neoconservative in the late 90’s, and this was his go-to place.

Hmm. Maybe he was a trolley?

2 Likes

I’d read they were mellower pre-9/11 from someone claiming to be a former friend of Johnson, but don’t really know. I didn’t pay them much attention before then since it was only afterwards that they grew in popularity from the level of histrionics and sheer bile.

2 Likes

I agree on PD, Cleverman, and Preacher; the latter two being my most recent fixations. The source material for Preacher is crazy; I really recommend checking it out.

I know Lucifer isn’t particularly good, but it’s a guilty pleasure of mine because Tom Ellis is so very good at playing a lovable douchebag.

I’m not sure what keeps me watching Powers, exactly. Excessive boredom maybe.

I actually really enjoyed Sense8 with its modern concept of literal gestalt, but to each his or her own.

I recommend Dark Matter and Killjoys if you like scifi-action shows.

And lastly Outcast has left me oddly ambivalent; I’m not sure if I want to keep watching based upon what little I’ve seen thus far.

2 Likes

Too good. Made my knuckles itch. :punch: :smiley:
Did it ever get past police procedural? Nothing wrong with that, I likes a good procedural.

I may have a few shows on my list like that too. :slight_smile: [quote=“Melizmatic, post:452, topic:56415”]
The source material for Preacher is crazy; I really recommend checking it out.
[/quote]

I’m not that much of a comics person and there seems to be a lot if it, so it would be a bit of an investment for me.
I’ll keep an eye out though.

2 Likes

I happened upon Preacher after a hockey game the same night as the pilot aired. I had no idea what I was watching, and it was full of WTF, but I haven’t caught it since. Is it worth watching further?

1 Like

I’d say yes, but don’t plan on understanding anything a hurry. The vibe of it is just glorious and that’s enough for me.

3 Likes

That’s one of that show’s biggest failings; the writers can’t seem to find a ‘happy medium’ between police procedural and supernatural genres.

Understood; comic universes can be daunting in their expansiveness…

2 Likes

And expensiveness. :frowning:

2 Likes

True… but where there’s wifi, there’s a way.

:wink:

1 Like

I would watch Preacher, but then I’d have to subscribe to a new channel, so I can’t. I liked the comics a lot, I’d recommend them.

2 Likes

ahem so like here and here and do use an ad blocker…

2 Likes

That was brilliant!

5 Likes

The Express only has two front pages.

This is the other one:

An utter turd of a paper that often gets a free pass by virtue of being just slightly less awful than the Heil.

2 Likes

Ah. No, I had not. Somebody posted a direct link to the article on the facebooks.

1 Like