HYST Generic Discussion Thread

I’m fairly certain I’m going to get a copy.

Also, I had not seen it before you pointed it out, but I started reading through his Twitter feed.

4 Likes

COPY HAS BEEN DELIVERED.

Danf. Now I have to wait until Feb. 14 to give it to my wife.

1 Like

re: Trump being hard to translate.

I’m glad I now have seen this. I find translation so interesting, and it’s definitely something I hadn’t contemplated relating to Trump.

2 Likes

There was a good article in the Guardian about that:

4 Likes

I have now, thanks @daneel… reading it makes me think we should do a book club on this book again. I want to say when we did it, it was a runner up after Piketty. Thoughts?

2 Likes

Isn’t that elvish?

1 Like

Yep. Posted that earlier somewhere because Shakira law…

8 Likes

If I’m looking for a good chuckle over the daily stupidity of politics in the US, all I have to do is glance at wastebook or instacrap.

3 Likes

sits somewhere above the short-lived Enterprise series and just below Voyager on the Star Trek interest scale.

Below Voyager???

3 Likes

I realize that the author was trying to be objective about popularity, not to judge value, but that’s impossible to let slide. Clearly, the order of Star Trek TV shows is:

1. Deep Space 9
  2. Next Generation
  3. The doctor from Voyager
  4. Octonauts
  5. Voyager
  6. Doing something other than watching TV
  7. Enterprise

In case you think I missed it, the original series occupies the #1 spot on an orthogonal axis that cannot be pictured on a flat screen.

7 Likes

Dude… what?

1. Next Gen
  2. Voyager
  3. Deep Space
  4. Original Series
  5. Red Dwarf
  6. Babylon Five
  7. Enterprise
1 Like

Sorry, I can’t engage with any ranking the puts the Original Series below Next Gen, (or above Next Gen, or on par with Next Gen).

3 Likes

Me too. I like Voyager quite a bit (watching it now, in fact), but DS9 is a much better show, IMHO.

5 Likes
  1. DS9
  2. TNG
  3. Farscape
  4. TOS
  5. There are no other Star Treks
  6. No, seriously
  7. Space: Above and Beyond
  8. The Original BSG
  9. Voyager
  10. Andromeda
  11. Heat death of the universe
  12. Enterprise
2 Likes

Enterprise is on our netflix queue and we haven’t decided if we really want to watch it or not.

1 Like

To be fair, it is improved by skipping the theme song. And there’s Jeffrey Combs.

2 Likes

I think I liked Farscape better than TNG… (This is the argument we need to have)

Should I be watching Voyager on Netflix? I recall it being only borderline tolerable. And my God! Tuvix!

3 Likes

Janeway is the best captain of all time.
And I will die on this hill!

7 Likes

That’s one reason to think about watching it, actually. I loved Combs as Weyoun in DS9 (less so his Ferengi character, honestly).

I think yes. I think it has a rocky start and the early seasons have serious pacing problems in many episodes, but when you get into where Seven of Nine shows up, I think it gets much better. And there are some stand out episodes worth seeing. [quote=“Missy_Pants, post:641, topic:56415”]
Janeway is the best captain of all time.
[/quote]

Janeway is pretty bad ass (as is Seven and B’Lenna). But it’s not like DS9 doesn’t have it’s share of great women - Kira and Dax are pretty bad ass and I actually love Kai Winn as this sort of foil for Sisko’s role as the Emissary. I even liked some of the recurring women in the show. Dukat’s daughter was cool and it sucks that they killed her off.

Speaking of Sisko, the original article got this wrong:

(Sisko was, after all, considered a god by the Bajorans).

Ummm… no. He was the Emissary to the prophets. He wasn’t actually a god… GAH.

2 Likes

9 Likes