HYST Generic Discussion Thread

6 Likes
contend that the darker tone did lighten up over seven seasons,

Wait… what? Did this guy even watch the show? How did it “lighten up” over the course of the show? Intergallatic war is “lighter”? What the fuck is he even talking about?

2 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

Actually Janeway being too damn good at everything was something we used to complain about while watching the show. I seem to recall her being a better engineer than their engineer in one episode (which is a little forgiveable, I guess since I think the actual chief engineer died), a better pilot than the hotshot pilot in another, etc. Sometimes it felt like in an effort to make sure she seemed badass enough they made me wonder, “Why is anyone else even there?” a little bit like Angel Summoner and the BMX kid.

But my biggest problem was definitely that I have never wanted to punch a Star Trek character more than I wanted to punch Neelix.

2 Likes

Really?

4 Likes

Hey, there are way more evil characters than Neelix (like practically all of them since Neelix is a moral-center character), just none more annoying.

7 Likes

#ST:TAS 

DS9’s good. But it’s no Babylon 5.[spoiler]

Yep. I went there. Someone had to.[/spoiler]

3 Likes

I liked Enterprise

5 Likes

My list jokingly puts Enterprise as totally unwatchable. I kind of liked it too. It’s just the opening theme that outright intolerable.

2 Likes

oh…yeah…I guess I’d blocked that out

2 Likes

Star Trek shows should never have lyrics in the theme song. I agree that this aspect was intolerable. Rock-n-rollin’ it up by Season 3 didn’t help. I eventually turned the sound off and just watched the ship history montage.

@wisconsinplatt: I’ve been reluctant to jump in on this discussion. I liked it, too. I don’t get the utter hate for it. And to be completely honest, I hated DS9. It’s not Star Trek if no one is seeking new life and new civilizations, FFS.

2 Likes

When DS9 originally aired, I could only catch a rare episode and since DS9 built on itself more than the other Treks I could never get into it.

I keep thinking I’ll go back and watch it from the beginning, but everytime I try it just doesn’t catch for me.

Someday I may be desparate enough though

2 Likes

Only nickname I’ve ever been given. Still not sure if it was a complement or insult.

4 Likes

Well, the first few episodes, and the first season generally, aren’t great. You should try watching the first season of TNG, though, it’s shiiiiiit.

February 1996 - Seinfeld introduces us to the idea of naming a child “Seven”
September 1997 - Star Trek introduces a borg drone to the show, who, of all the numbers in the world, happens to be number seven

So you were nicknamed by George Costanza, if that helps you make up your mind.

2 Likes

She’s bad ass, so compliment, I think.

3 Likes

Also, looks like the kickstarter is funded:

So, it looks like it’s going to happen for sure!

2 Likes

If I hadn’t been young and non-discerning when TNG came out…I’d have never managed to watch it. Let alone eagerly look forward claiming the TV in the lounge with the rest of the nerds at College.

1 Like

Turns out that most shows have shitty season ones, though. It’s a wonder we watch anything.

2 Likes