I am hopeful enough

I am hopeful enough to believe that Harris/Walz can win this one.

18 Likes

I am hopeful enough to believe that the Human Development Index will continue to rise in overall global terms with each passing decade at least for the rest of my lifetime.

14 Likes

I am hopeful enough to believe I will walk normally again one day, even if not fast enough to outrun the zombie uprising.

21 Likes

This is a much better idea, I don’t mind the piggyback.

I am hopeful enough to keep fighting the good fight, no matter what the news 24 hour news cycle says to keep their revenue stream flowing.

20 Likes

I was all set to type what I am cynical about. Then I realized I need to keep my blood pressure in check. :slight_smile:

For real, I am actually feeling hopeful in a way I have not since 2015. But I am so tired of people thinking things like healthcare for all is a radical communist idea.

17 Likes

Less flippantly than the bomb I dropped in the Cynicism thread (for which I apologise),

Cynics are cynics because we’re so often right. But that’s not the whole of it, because there are other words for that. If you give yourself up to believing that everything always sucks and there’s nothing you can do about it, that’s not cynicism any more, that’s fatalism. Possibly even nihilism; the idea that there’s no point trying because nothing matters.

That’s not cynicism. Cynics aren’t idiots. We can see the patterns, we know there are forces actively and passively making things worse. We know what the odds are.

But cynics try anyway, because we always have the hope that this time we’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Hope is fighting even though you know the odds, believing there’s always a chance that you’re wrong and that it will work.

A true optimist doesn’t need hope. A true pessimist, or fatalist, or nihilist, can’t justify hope. It’s in cynicism that the tension lies, giving hope meaning.

10 Likes

Radical hope is making joy when it is in short supply. I’ve been thinking about it more like that for some time and it helps, especially in a world that has informed so many that the cleverest thing one can be is cynically correct while people actually adjust their reality to their expectations regularly.

I’ve learned that when life hands me a dopamine hit, I should probably take it.

6 Likes