I am mesmerized by these dots moving around geometric shapes

Show this to your cat. See what happens. Report back. If you make it out of there. Alive.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads-up. I missed it at 100 but waiting for the payoff at 1000 was so worth it.

This reminds me of the time when I worked at Fujitsu and had access to some pretty powerful supercomputers. My colleagues were running some tests calculating pi out to more and more decimal places. I decided to go the other way. Sure there’s a few zeros to the left of that whole number 3 … but how many? Is it really an infinite number of 0s out front? What if pi is actually 700000…000003.1415826… What a discovery that would be.

3 Likes

Oh, is there really something that happens at 100? I thought you were kidding. I have no idea what happens after 1000.

1 Like

I am indeed kidding. Please do not waste your time watching and counting. Or if you do, prepare to be disappointed, then angry, and then vengeful … and eventually, hopefully, forgiving.

3 Likes

I almost fell for it too…then I realized the gif only has 800 images

1 Like
2 Likes

Damn, I should have kept playing along then.

And, if I had just read your second paragraph, which I just did, of course you were kidding. Yes, there are actually 256 zeros before the 3.

Oh man, dont anybody show @jlw Spirograph.

1 Like

Does anyone have a link for the creator of this animation? I have eliminated politics from my twitter and it is basically all annoying cgi illusions, pico 8 3d animations, and mathematical hexagon nonsense and I would love to follow the creator of this image on any platform.

3 Likes

The creator is Dave Whyte: http://beesandbombs.com/

Currently, the same animation is displayed on his website; that version is smoother because it is not an animated GIF; instead, the elements are animated with JavaScript within an HTML canvas element. In fact, you can save a local copy of the code and modify various parameters. Here’s and example:

By the way @jlw, you might want to give credit to the animator on the Boing Boing article.

Incidentally, Dave Whyte, along with designer Saskia Marka, created the title sequence at the very end of The Queen’s Gambit: The Queen's Gambit Main Title Design on Vimeo

Here’s a very insightful interview about that title sequence:

For those interested, Dave Whyte’s work has been previously featured on Boing Boing:

2 Likes

Don’t look too closely at DaVinci’s Vitruvian Man, you might get upset.

Gee, thanks. Now I can’t unsee that.

1 Like

Loved that end title sequence- thanks for sharing who made it!

1 Like

Thanks a million, Yes I am already following this artist but this retrospective helps me put together lots of images I already liked and attach them to the same human! And this boingboing article along with your help in assigning authorship helped me look into the artist in the same way I used to dig through the previous work of musicians I encountered and liked.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.