"I Caught a Snowflake," by Gina Borys

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/01/i-caught-a-snowflake-by.html

3 Likes

Based on the trajectory, that poor snowflake doesn’t stand a chance.

2 Likes

She’s gonna freeze her tuchus off.

8 Likes

Small observation; though [edit]a lot of Moore’s work is surely unacceptable by modern standards (one could hope) his women are naturalistic. He has obviously spent a great deal of time looking at naked or near naked women, but he then hasn’t tried to turn them into dolls. In other words, there’s objectification but in some ways it’s less dire than modern objectification.

3 Likes

“I caught a snowflake” sounds like the title to an alt-right anthem.

14 Likes

Sooo guessing the lyrics go something like:

“I caught a snowflake.
It quickly melted in my hand.
Why do I destroy everything I love?”

And then just random death metal screams.

22 Likes

Where’s the line here? Is society to have no art that’s sexually evocative? Because – despite the weird heat gradients she must be experiencing – I think it’s a lovely painting. The song’s great too.

8 Likes

He has obviously spent a great deal of time looking at naked or near naked women

IIRC, like most of his peers, he usually photographed models in the desired poses and lighting and then did his paintings based on those, altering as needed.

I know this sounds obvious but you’d be amazed how many people think that art just leaps out of an artist’s head like Athena.

3 Likes

That is nice, thanks for sharing

1 Like

This is an article merely intended to catch the reminiscent imagination of those who dominate the net…

3 Likes

Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

4 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know that.:grinning:

I wasn’t referring to that picture but to a lot of others you can find in his commercial work.

2 Likes

I used to think stuff like tracing was cheating. Taking an illustration class, I quickly learned that those amazing illustrations my instructor did each had references and out right copying and tracing - what ever it took to have the right look.

Some artists can come up with pretty convincing stuff from their head, but most of that come from a mix of raw talent, and a lot of study of reference to know how everything fits and how it is lit. Still, when one uses actual real life models their work usually looks even more life like. Tim Bradstreet does a lot of comic covers with this technique. Pretty sure Alex Ross does too for some of his stuff.

4 Likes

Sounds like the right kind of music for this holiday season…

3 Likes

Get this sexist bullshit off the site. The reset starts now.

1 Like

I used to think stuff like tracing was cheating.

So did I until the day I needed to draw a car.

Pretty sure Alex Ross does too for some of his stuff.

He’s big on it. That’s why his paintings always look like cosplayers standing in front of a black backdrop.

Note the quote…

2 Likes

3 Likes

A cute girl with a ukulele? On Boing Boing?

4 Likes
6 Likes

Reminds me of the politicians who want to cover up nude statues because, you know, boobies.

7 Likes