I don't think so.

They missed the best “I don’t think so”: from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Of course I can’t find the clip online…

2 Likes

I find it remarkable that so many different actors say “I don’t think so” with almost exactly the same inflection.

2 Likes

Hot Shots Part Deux doesn’t get enough love:
Topper Harley : Do you know what its like to have your heart shot out of season and tied to the top of a car? How it feels to be passed like the world’s largest kidney stone? Ramada… I don’t THINK so.

6 Likes

Great, now “I don’t think so” sounds totally weird to me. Like, wow man, it doesn’t actually mean anything?

After a minute of that video I’m wondering, “Why, why are they saying that!?”
But actually, I think there’s all sorts of layers of meaning you don’t get with “no” at least, starting with it having two entirely different meanings: it’s either uncertain/tentative, or it’s commanding - a denial of someone else. I suppose it’s also the ambiguity of being both those things.
Then there’s the ability to emphasize one word or another:
I don’t think so.
I don’t think so.
I don’t think so.
I don’t think so. (Okay, maybe not that one.)
(Then there’s variations of tone and pauses as well… Shit, someone could probably write a whole scene where that was the only dialog.)

5 Likes

Emphasis is key. See example: https://youtu.be/wIyj1XupNXs?t=391
Preview is not showing it - it’s Hugh Grant doing Matthew McConaughey’s line “alright, alright, alright”

1 Like

“Don’t you die on me!”

Ha! There is a supercut to back me up :smiley:

4 Likes

“It’s quiet… too quiet…”

4 Likes

This isn’t a movie, this is real life!

3 Likes

Lloyd is a creeper…

4 Likes

You are correct, it doesn’t. :slight_smile:

1 Like
5 Likes

Well… “I don’t think so” is a bit passive, although I’m sure that at least one film had a character scream it out. That would be funny.

2 Likes
6 Likes

“Stay with me! Stay with me!”

5 Likes

Given that The Wire managed it with a shorter phrase than that…

2 Likes

Goldblum at about 1:56

3 Likes

Is he? Of course someone covered this in a sitcom (HIMYM)

4 Likes

Oh Goldblum, we can always count on you giving the weirdly emphasized line readings…

2 Likes

Yeah, he really was; talk about not taking “No” for an answer.

4 Likes

Aren’t most Rom-Coms really Stalker Movies that end before things turn really nasty?

6 Likes