I found a better pair of pet nail clippers

I believe it’s due to the illusion of self, poisoning one’s relationship with what is perceived as externality.

Hey, you asked, OK?

At least they didn’t amputate the claws. That’s really nasty, and ought to be punished by removal of the fingernails from any vet that consents to it.

2 Likes

Kitteh burrito works great on kittehs that didn’t start getting nails clipped until they were adults. When we get a new kitten, we touch the paws constantly, and start clipping as soon as those little needles are big enough to safely cut.

2 Likes

For our sensitive lass, I used to burrito her, but now I just use tactics similar to @SatinSatan’s guerrilla ambushes.

1 Like

Because I like my skin and my blood and would like to a) play with cats and b) keep my skin and my blood.

1 Like

Like this?

1 Like

Long answer:
A Vet’s Perspective: How to Trim Your Cat’s Claws, and Why You Should | Catster

For one of our cats, it is to avoid this:

Ingrown nails due to inability to shed the sheathe.

1 Like

A friend gave that one to us for our cats because hers hated it. Ours liked it just fine, but it didn’t make any difference on their claws.

1 Like

We have a couple of those, the cats love them!

I teach our cats how to maintain their own claws, by demonstrating with my fingernails on the things they are permitted to claw, occasionally dosing the things they are encouraged to claw with catnip, and going total nutso on them if they claw anything else. It’s actually easier than litter training an abandoned kitten or feral cat.

We never had one like @crenquis’s so I have no idea if I could teach her to cope on her own! I doubt it, though, if a sandy cardboard scratcher doesn’t work. I think I would try to teach her on a cedar 4x4 though.

Ingrown nails due to inability to shed the sheathe.

Very nasty! Is that common? I’ve owned three cats and house-shared a few others and I haven’t seen that one.

I’ve had dozens of cats over the years and the one that we have now is the first that I have seen with the fat nails.

To avoid damage to humans, to help shed the sheaths as others have mentioned, and also to keep kittehs from sticking to couches and carpets and clothing like velcro - accidental snags are upsetting to kittehs, potentially hurtful, and definitely potentially damaging to textiles.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.