I got a generic "emergency" radio for Christmas and it came in this amazing box

Is that the Blue Steel pose from Zoolander? BLUE STEEL!!

4 Likes

There is an icon in the amazon listing images for SOS. Does this thing transmit?

3 Likes

Or, if you are Ethan Hunt, you probably have a Bluetooth ear bud to keep your running hands free.

3 Likes

I rate this radio a Do Not Buy. It has a fake rip-off of the actual Public Alert logo, because it would not actually qualify as a Public Alert receiver. See Performance Specification for Public Alert Receivers (ANSI/CTA-2009-B).

4 Likes

He’s probably running to GET his radio.

1 Like

But the blood is blue, indicating that it is water falling from the sky. Unless you’re a horseshoe crab and it’s your blood coming from the heavens related to some horrible water spout/terror of the sea disaster.

Either way, I like the fact that your thoughts went immediately to “dripping blood” when faced with a NOAA event radio. :+1:

Looking at the box with this music in my head enhances the experience.

3 Likes

Some folks might need to get their eyes checked; that doesn’t look like David Tennant or Tome Cruise.

2 Likes

Care to fill us in on which specific part of the standard? Most commenters here aren’t going to be familiar with either the ANSI standard or the feature set of this specific receiver.

Um…how to say…each ANSI/CTA standard is the standard for whatever the standard is titled. There will be paragraphs for what standard each material involved must meet, but overall, the standard our new commenter posted is for US emergency radios. Clear now?

3 Likes

Or a radio for that matter.

1 Like

I’m feeling more of a David Tennet/Ezra Miller shoop-vibe here. Time + Speed = Disaster.

That, I could see…

Not really.

I’m quite familiar with codes and standards; I live in CSA documents all day. If work is being done in a way that is non-compliant with the electrical code I can say exactly how, down to the section and paragraph.

That’s kinda what I’m looking for. If one of my apprentices says that they have a gut feeling that something looks wrong, I challenge them to go find the article that proves it.

The radio is not programmable. As has been pointed out in the Amz reviews - this is not a SAME radio (Specific Area Message Encoding). You can’t set it to alert you only for specific events or locations. Receivers with the Public Alert logo have physical and software features lacking in the rudimentary receivers. Look for the Public Alert Devices content on the NOAA Weather Radio website.

1 Like

A receiver does not need to be able to receive SAME messages in order to bear the alert logo; if the receiver can hear a 1050hz tone and sound an alert when it is tuned but otherwise muted it can also be considered compliant.

The NOAA has a resource page here that explains the exemptions from SAME capabilities: All Hazards Logo Information

I’m not saying that the receiver is any good, or meets the other parts of the standard, or if they ever submitted an approval request. That said, the receiver manufacturer documents quite clearly that it is a tone alert type, and the NOAA states that tone alert devices are eligible for licensing.

1 Like