I have a subscription to coconut oil

[Read the post]

3 Likes

Strangely, I am not a fan of the taste. However, it does wonderful things for my hair!

6 Likes

I like it for popcorn and not much else, MrsTobinL likes it in her coffee.

3 Likes

I’ll have to check but I’m pretty sure I’m paying slightly less at my local bargain mart. When I started adding it to my dogs’ food mealtimes became even more exciting for them–something I would have thought impossible.

And it’s fun to accidentally leave it in a warm car and find it’s turned into a clear liquid. Stored in the cool pantry it quickly goes back to its semi-solid white gel state.

Edit to add: my “local bargain mart” is Costco. I guess it’s not technically local, just near me.

3 Likes

<gagging noises>

You’re not alone.

Isn’t cold pressed meaningless marketing drivel like for olive oil (there is no hot pressed olive oil).

You put oil on your toast?

1 Like

It’s really good as a spread with jelly.

That being said, Costco has some organic coconut oil for a great price, too.

3 Likes

It’s like mercury, in that its melting temperature is not like others in its class.

It’s particularly wonderful in baked goods. Blueberry muffins, banana bread, etc.

And I’m almost 100% certain it’s even cheaper at Costco.

edited to add: hi there, @sdmikev, fellow Costco shopper!

6 Likes

I made mini cupcakes with coconut oil the other day and was quite pleased. When they cooled to room temperature the texture was firm but pleasingly giving.

My frosting piping technique needs an overhaul though.

5 Likes

You’re partly correct :wink: The oil mill will get hotter with usage and olives shouldn’t be too warm when pressed. In the EU “cold pressed” is only allowed when the mill will not get warmer than 27°C - this needs some heavy cooling for high through-put mills or a slow processing.

7 Likes

I’d like a low-cost coconut oil that didn’t have flavor. The slight flavor of this one ruins popcorn for me, even with salt and butter. Our local grocer used to carry one, but the company dropped it.

1 Like

Pressing produces heat through friction. Oil is considered cold pressed if the temperature doesn’t rise above 120°F (49°C) during extraction.

4 Likes

“I never get sick of the taste or smell of coconut oil - it makes me happy.”

Same same!

2 Likes

Why is there an idealistic farm from maybe somewhere in the Northeast of the US on the bottle?

Do you all not know where coconuts grow?

11 Likes

The 49°C is valid for the US? interesting, WAY higher than in the EU and afaik the quality of the oil will be lower above ~30°C.

3 Likes

New Jersey? Minnesota? Where?

I’m not certain about the number. I just found it.
Heat is used to aid conventional oil extraction. Up to 450°F (~ 230°C).
So 120°F (49°C) is still comparatively cool.

I do not know from experience, but my sources tell me there is another non food-related use for Coconut Oil that has greatly ratcheted up the sales of this product.

* the indication “first cold pressing”: it may be used only for virgin or extra virgin olive oils obtained at a temperature below 27 °C by means of an extraction system using hydraulic presses * the indication “cold extraction”: it may be used only for virgin or extra virgin olive oils obtained at a temperature below 27 °C by percolation or centrifugation of the olive paste;
Europe. We regulate everything : )
3 Likes