I have a subscription to coconut oil

3 Likes

Finally: something thatā€™s not made in China! :wink:

3 Likes

Not a palm tree anywhere on that label

1 Like

I hear some people swear by it for dilationā€¦

Cosmetics and skin care.
Soap (I make my own; coconut oil makes gobs of lather)
I donā€™t know about using it as any type of commercial lubricant; I suspect itā€™s too much of a niche market and the personal care and food uses suck up most of the production.

1 Like

Here you go, the best use of coconut oil: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/06/how-to-make-your-own-chocolate-dip.html

Coconut oil is anything but ā€œhealthyā€. Itā€™s a saturated fat.

3 Likes

I donā€™t recall what brand the coconut oil I buy is but itā€™s organic and itā€™s around 9 bucks. 13 dollars seems like a lot to me, but hey if its a brand you like then go ahead

1 Like

Well, crap. I was going to guess on a tree. Wrong again. [sigh]

2 Likes

I cancelled all my "subscribe and save ā€ because subscribing does not lock in the price. My coffee (french market chichory) varys in price from about $5.50 a can to about $17.00 a can on amazon. I just use camelcamelcamel and set a price alert and buy a case at a time.

1 Like

Ironically they have this exact cocount oil in my local Costco for $14.99ā€¦

Saturated fats are non-toxic and meta-studies are increasingly showing no relationship to heart disease. They increase HDL cholesterol and, while they increase LDL (the ā€œbadā€ cholesterol), it tends to be in the large fluffy variety which is unrelated to heart disease. Even the federal guidelines are backing off from previous claims that saturated fats are unhealthy.

There are fats to fear. Corn oil and other high Omega 6 fats are related to inflammation and heart disease and are the ones to avoid.

4 Likes

Yep. In part because the standard grocery store oils (corn/vegetable/canola) are extracted with chemicals. Chemicals that remain in the oil people eatā€¦

My mother mixes it with FECO and BHO and puts it in gelcaps to treat her COPD since she canā€™t inhale even vapes.

1 Like

this is a fairly common habit, many people use cow-oil also known as ā€œbutterā€

7 Likes

I honestly wondered how soon someone would post an answer similar to yours. So hereā€™s my take on it: using coconut oil as a spread on ones toast seems to bear less similarity to using butter than it does to using, say, vegetable oil, or even vegetable shortening on ones toast. Which Iā€™m pretty sure most people wouldnā€™t want to do.

When did it become -punk to have a subscription to a yuppie health craze product?

If we keep using words like this weā€™re going to run out of meaning.

1 Like

I put it on toast. Itā€™s delicious. My favorite morning treat.

1 Like

You just described margarine. Itā€™s not to my taste-- I prefer the taste of butter-- but some people like it.

6 Likes