I have improved Staples' new logo

38 Likes

I was like “Wow, that Diane Von Furstenbern one can’t possibly be real.” Yep, that’s what it is. So clunky.

3 Likes

20 Likes

This is exactly why I make my graphic design students start the logo design process with a pencil and paper. Otherwise you end up with a bunch of painfully boring stuff that happens to coincide with “what’s really easy to knock out in 30 seconds or less with Adobe Illustrator?”

23 Likes

They say that fifth time’s a charm:

PS: The progression of NASA logos is not correct. After 1959, the agency for a time used the “meatball” logo (shown correctly as the latest one on the chart). In other words… the old “meatball” was brought back.

16 Likes

8 Likes

Krazy Glue would also work. Look for it on Aisle 6 at Staples.

3 Likes

That’s only for the really small stores that don’t carry much inventory and staples come individually packed in a blister pack for $2.99 each, like liquor store Tylenols.

8 Likes

alan-moore-clapping|nullxnull

11 Likes

Or parallel bars?

12 Likes

Is there should be an Illustrator action for random logo generation based on styles “Microsoft Word Art,” “1990s Bevel, Emboss and Drop Shadow,” “I Just Discovered Papyrus,” and “Minimalist Hipster”.

6 Likes

Edit: you said all the stuff I said.

While I’m here, might as well have some commentary. I think Starbucks, Burger King, and a few others missed the mark. The current Burger King logo is an abomination, while the 94 refinement of their classic logo is just about right. Starbucks hit the sweet spot with the last logo that actually bore their name.

And RIP NASA worm logo.

11 Likes

I’m a fan of understated minimalism but i seriously do hate how businesses over-simplify their branding to the point of becoming devoid of personality and uniform.

9 Likes

NASA has proven itself to be a very superstitious lot. (Just google it.) Based on that, I wonder if superstition, magical-thinking, and superficiality drove them to re-use the meatball. Or was it the thought of some bright-boy: “Wouldn’t it be great and inspirational to resurrect the meatball… a remembrance of our glory days?!”

7 Likes

So it’s twice as good now?

I liked the original one better.

“Mr. Staples, sir, you have lost my business unless you bring back the classic logo!”

1 Like

Staples has divisions that can be divested? What, like you were in the 5-ring binder group that was sold to International Binder Corp?

2 Likes

Company review on Indeed: “It was no ordinary three ring binder, more like Trapper Keeper.”

2 Likes

How about a rebranding?

25 Likes

Yikes.

O_O

My ad graph professor in undergrad would have kicked us out of class if we had dared show up with such banal non-designs for ANY of his assignments.

Even though his motto was KIS (Keep It Simple!) Mr Porter would have likely declared all of those to be pedestrian and incapable of capturing the audience’s attention at a glance.

Good on you; my prof was like that too. He pushed having solid, 2-D ‘board skills’ above all.

20 Likes

The murder of the Burberry logo personally wounds me. I don’t even care about them as a brand, but the old logo said everything about who they were.

16 Likes