I love the 1956 Frigidaire refrigerator

Originally published at: I love the 1956 Frigidaire refrigerator | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Agreed - looks like a better design than many modern fridges. Last time I looked for a new fridge it was very easy to exclude within very few seconds 90% of those viewed, so obvious were some of the design failures - related to my usage, anyway.

(@orenwolf Might someone correct ‘draws’ in this post to ‘drawers’ before we lose the word drawers forever? :wink: )

8 Likes

Whoa, man! Where can I put my extra-large pizza boxes, and my 3 gallon water bottle? Plus this case of beer? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

… came up with the idea for having shelves in the doors of fridges.

(But the reason she moved to improving household appliances after having reorganized whole industrial plants is, no bonus points for guessing, misogyny.)

20 Likes

There are some excellent ideas in that appliance.

Plus, those bike racks in the front of the house look like they could have been featured in Wordless Workshop. I can even imagine the first panel, where the dad comes home and sees a pile of bikes on the front walkway.

8 Likes

1956 refrigerator you say? was it “Lead Lined”?

(a notorious Indiana Jones refrigerator from 1957)

13 Likes

As my wife would say, that was designed by a woman, as opposed to many modern appliances which must have been designed by a man.

By the way, you can still get some of those features, such as the roll out shelves, but only in high-end fridges.

11 Likes

This is my fav fridge commercial!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agqe_0E9lms

8 Likes

That’s excellent. “Would you… swing one out for me?”

4 Likes

“Whenever I see a tall ham standing proud…”

Ooer, missus!

8 Likes

If only this was what people meant by “Make America great again”.

5 Likes

You can, if you want, spend an equivalent amount today and you’ll be in the realm of high-end refrigerators. We’re talking - adjusted for inflation - approx. $6,000-8,000.

Just wondering: anyone here actually consider spending that much for a frig?

6 Likes

On a fridge, maybe not; but a frig? :thinking:

5 Likes

:slight_smile: Okay, but that would depend on who and how. My age and upbringing is showing in my slang and the slang I forget also exists. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If there’s one thing I love, it’s makin’ shit get cold.What a great time to be alive!!

3 Likes

I have always favored “frigerator” as it is both shorter and more accurate in a way. Always wondered where the letter “d” in “fridge” came from.

3 Likes

Yeah - the design looks great - however I’ll take any modern fridge over having to take everything out an put it in coolers for a day with all the towels in the house while we de-ice the thing every couple of months when it gets so iced over you can’t close the door…

3 Likes

Surprised there’s no room in a Cold War era fridge to fit a family of four in the event of a nuclear explosion.

1 Like

Beer goes in the beer fridge.

5 Likes

And where “d” in “frig” goes? :thinking:

3 Likes