I met the world's perfect mammal at a reptile sanctuary

Originally published at: I met the world's perfect mammal at a reptile sanctuary | Boing Boing

6 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes

I have an animal obsessed child, so I spend an awful lot of time at my local zoo, Drusilla’s Park (Sussex, England). I have noticed that capybaras enjoy an active sex life; “Oh look, son, they’re playing piggyback again!”
The adult capybaras at Drusilla’s, Augustus and Clementine, welcomed their first baby capy last summer. And this year Clementine gave birth to triplets.

1 Like

… and you can legally touch them, if you’re prepared to pay out the extra cash for a “capybara experience”. Just leave them be when they’re playing piggyback.

I remember meeting one at the Pittsburgh Zoo’s Children’s Zoo long ago.

Definitely prickly. Also ridiculously affectionate. There were scritches, and they were very much leaned into.

2 Likes

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

2 Likes

Nobody was concerned about legal when the capybara was wandering around under necking couples at my senior prom. We were more concerned about peacock poop on gowns and tuxes.

2 Likes

I’m choosing this single occasion to make an exception to my policy of not posting photos of my family on the Internets, because:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.